My set up

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: My set up

Post by frozenpod » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:Only thing i can suggest is lift rollers a bit higher and back trailer in fully (which i believe you do Anyway)
You want the boat as low as possible on the trailer within reason.

Having the skeg hitting the ground is normal for a deep vee boat.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:04 am

frozenpod wrote:
purple5ive wrote:I think he said he raises it almost fully in the other thread.
I just don't understand how it would hit with it raised fully.

For what is worth.
I raise my motor up quite a bit before i attempt to drive onto the trailer
I must have missed that as it sounds like the cause of the problem.

If you raise the motor the bow will go up stern drops and the skeg hits the ground.

You only trim up just a touch.
At Portland, had the bow on the trailer and the motor was raised a little, the first time, and could only get the boat about half way, then it had to be winched on the rest of the way. I ended up turning the motor off and raising it right out of the water, looking at the bottom of the skeg, it had fresh scratches on it.

The second time we basically winched the boat all the way as the skeg was hitting the ramp and I couldn't keep the propeller in the water. the rear wheels of the car were at the waters edge.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 am

Launching and retrieving at Hastings, Stoney Point, Patterson, Mornington, Sorrento there is no issue, apart from the beginning when I bent a few props.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:31 am

What happened when the boat was on the trailer half way?

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 am

if this issue just pertains to ramps ( loading and unloading ) I would recommend getting an drawbar extension.
Be it a bolt in slide drawbar or bolt in hinged drawbar extension for ramp use only.
Or have an permanent extension done. ( no pics showing how close your boat is to your car )
Anyway:
Extending the drawbar would enable your trailer to be further in the water hereby decreasing boat angle ( which is why your skeg or prop is hitting .
Dunbier have and also you may check out hinge kit : http://www.salestrailers.com.au/bolt-on ... kit-2.html
After installin I doubt you'd have anymore problems at any ramp
Cheers stewy

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Oops swing away could be adapted with permanent extension.
Clip of swing away :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmmp7vvPczs

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry, I've come in on this late.
This is abit confusing ??? From what I'm reading, the skeg is grinding on the ramp floor when driving on, is this correct ??
If this is the case, something is amiss.
There's no picture of the whole boat on its trailer, but for the motor to be trimmed up a tad as you drive on, There's no way in hell you should experience so many issues, unless the boat is not level on the trailer ??? or the trailer is in far enough, Its a fine line of adjustment, I have to power forward to release the boat catch and if anything mine slides of too easily. If I've got it right here, it sounds as though the bow is being pushed up, that sounds like roller set up to me, surely ?? Backing in to the ramp, I only just cover the back guide rollers, ( from memory ). But scraping the skeg on the ramp floor would almost mean something out of alignment... The motor clearance from the ground is fine, So if you imagine with the trailer on the ramp, same gaps under the trailer as if on a level road, the ramp continues down on the same gradiant, your boat should float off the trailer on the same angle, so driving on, apart from the initial little lift as the boat goes on the guide rollers, it should then go on the trailer on the same angle of the ramp, and you should have no skeg grinding !! always lift it up again before you drive off the ramp, but not being able for some reason, to drive on any more than half way ??? .....something is not as it should be.... can you show a full shot of the boat on the trailer and up close and personal of the rollers ????
I'ts been a hard day, probably got the whole topic wrong !!! But just never heard of having a skeg dragging issue.......

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm with you col.Been watching this topic from the side.Some basic understanding of geometric planes and trigonometry can be so helpful at times regardless of what you are doing. Straight edge,square & tape measure could fix it.Squaring it all up would be a good start. :o_0:

Return to “Boating”