Boat Launch & Retrieve Latch for Drive on trailer boats

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Boat Launch & Retrieve Latch for Drive on trailer boats

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:05 am

Just a tip do not take the safety chain off and think the latch will hold it. When you launch slacken the winch strap to allow the boat to roll back a bit as you go down the ramp it will then be firm on the latch when the boat is in the water set the latch to launch and remove the safety chain and winch strap jump in the boat drive fwd the latch will spring out of the way then back off. When retrieving set the latch to retrieve drive on do not drive up the ramp move fwd till the winch is accessible without getting wet put the safety chain and strap on then drive away. If you rely solely on the latch it can if you jerk can actuate and release the boat.
Upon saying that it is a great bit of kit and works great just make sure your boat is half in the water before setting.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:50 am

Nude up wrote:Just a tip do not take the safety chain off and think the latch will hold it. When you launch slacken the winch strap to allow the boat to roll back a bit as you go down the ramp it will then be firm on the latch when the boat is in the water set the latch to launch and remove the safety chain and winch strap jump in the boat drive fwd the latch will spring out of the way then back off. When retrieving set the latch to retrieve drive on do not drive up the ramp move fwd till the winch is accessible without getting wet put the safety chain and strap on then drive away. If you rely solely on the latch it can if you jerk can actuate and release the boat.
Upon saying that it is a great bit of kit and works great just make sure your boat is half in the water before setting.
Thats how i do it.
I got it just to hook and retrieve the the boat on trailer when its hslf in the water so i don't have to climb out twice to attach or detach the winch while motor is running.

Only issue i have to far is.
When launching i reverse the trailer back into the water. Winch the boat back onto latch, remove safety chain and winch, set it to lever to launch setting, all good there.

Go to climb on the front of the boat and twice now the latch has released as the boats taken all my weight on the bow over the anchor well, leaving me knealing on the front as boat launched.

Did i install wrong?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am

It might need some adjustment.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 pm

It shouldn't release if it is engaged fully on the hook the boat would have to move forward to allow the spring to move the latch. I think it can not be fully engaged on the hook. My only issue was one day I had it set to release boat in the water suddenly remembered I had not put the bungs in drove fwd but as I stopped the boat moved forward the latch released and the boat started coming off the trailer I quickly put the car in reverse and quickly backed down the ramp and the boat floated away luckily another fisho grabbed it I winched it back on the trailer pulled it out drained the water out put the bungs in and went fishing.
These things happen every now and then you just have to learn from the incidents so they don't happen again.

Return to “Boating”