driving the boat onto the trailor

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: driving the boat onto the trailor

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Nude up wrote:I have taught a few people at work when they bought boats how to drive their boats on and off the trailer. We would go to Altona mid week around 10 am then go through the basics how deep to have the trailer driving it on and off when they have done it a few times we would go for a rip around show how the trim affects the boats handling.
IMO the ultimate test of driving your boat on and off is Rhyll boat ramp in the afternoon when the wind gets up and the tide is ripping great fun to watch
That's where I learnt.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Wolly something is wrong mate. Have someone take a look.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 pm

ducky wrote:Have you got a 25" motor on a 20" transom wolly? Seem to have a lot of bad luck with hitting the skeg.

Portland ramp is a great ramp. Shouldn't be hitting the skeg unless there's something wrong. Potentially reverse further to compensate for the different angle on the trailer?
Going back any further will be putting the rear wheels in the water.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Can ya put up.pic of boat on trailer,possible side on view

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:29 pm

My rear wheels go in water slightly when I'm launching. Any shallower and I can't drive on. It's definitely better than damaging the motor

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
ducky wrote:Have you got a 25" motor on a 20" transom wolly? Seem to have a lot of bad luck with hitting the skeg.

Portland ramp is a great ramp. Shouldn't be hitting the skeg unless there's something wrong. Potentially reverse further to compensate for the different angle on the trailer?
Going back any further will be putting the rear wheels in the water.
Going further back isn't going to help. Unless it is a very shallow ramp or a terrible trailer you shouldn't need to go back that far.

Car and trailer should be about 0.5m further out of the water for retrieval when compared with launching.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:11 pm

My easytow trailer is 1mt longer in the drawbar than the sea link trailer it was on before now launching and retrieving is no worries. My last boat a streaker 545 on a dunbier trailer punched a hole through the spare wheel on the prado so I extended the drawbar by half a mtr I put a box section inside the drawbar a few bolts reposition the hitch and never hit the spare wheel again but it also helped the launching and retrieving

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:50 pm

There is nothing wrong with back wheels in the water if it helps get the boat on

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

True but on decent ramps like those listed it shouldn't be needed. Being too deep can make it harder than it needs to be.

Wolly how close is the skeg to the ground when the boat is on the trailer connected to the car with level ground.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 pm

frozenpod wrote:True but on decent ramps like those listed it shouldn't be needed. Being too deep can make it harder than it needs to be.

Wolly how close is the skeg to the ground when the boat is on the trailer connected to the car with level ground.
Have to measure it for a accurate measurement, but prior to having the rear springs reset and raised, the front end of the trailer was lower than the rear, but now the springs do not sag and the front of the trailer rides higher.

Return to “Boating”