driving the boat onto the trailor

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

driving the boat onto the trailor

Post by barra mick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:50 pm

I was at werrible south today and I was amazed how many people dont drive there boat straight onto the trailor.....it looked liked maybe a few were once a year boaties but they all cant be inexperienced

It took some fisherman btw 10 and 15 mins to get there boat on and trailor out ....so its a fair wait to get out if you behind a few boats.

It is what it is but its not bad skill to learn

Bm

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: driving the boat onto the trailor

Post by bowl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah ,if ya have correct trailer, its **** easy to drive on and lot less time then a winch.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

The boats infront off me today had better trailors than what I have.

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:21 pm

I see a lot get into trouble just by not reversing deep enough without realising , hence why they don't do drive ups/off maybe .

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm

I have taught a few people at work when they bought boats how to drive their boats on and off the trailer. We would go to Altona mid week around 10 am then go through the basics how deep to have the trailer driving it on and off when they have done it a few times we would go for a rip around show how the trim affects the boats handling.
IMO the ultimate test of driving your boat on and off is Rhyll boat ramp in the afternoon when the wind gets up and the tide is ripping great fun to watch

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Nude up wrote:I have taught a few people at work when they bought boats how to drive their boats on and off the trailer. We would go to Altona mid week around 10 am then go through the basics how deep to have the trailer driving it on and off when they have done it a few times we would go for a rip around show how the trim affects the boats handling.
IMO the ultimate test of driving your boat on and off is Rhyll boat ramp in the afternoon when the wind gets up and the tide is ripping great fun to watch
Inverloch in a roaring tide and safety beach in a westerly can be a test of your skills too

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Driving on and off is very easy to do once you have your confidence up but nerve wracking when you're learning. I can tie up at a jetty. Go get the trailer and be on the trailer faster than a lot of 2 person crews can.

I'd suggest everyone has a crack at it in perfect conditions. Protected and quiet ramps are great for it. Eg warmies. Altona. St kilda. Hastings. Wouldnt suggest patto unless you pick the far ramp which takes the river current out of play.

Winching on and off is just a pain in the rectum imo

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:14 am

I had a 25ft Cat that i used to drive on a trailer -A piece of cake
When u get older -Like in your 60s its very hard to drive on and get out of the boat-when its stilll in the water ,Best for me is to winch on as I fish with an unlisenced person.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:01 pm

denis barden wrote:I had a 25ft Cat that i used to drive on a trailer -A piece of cake
When u get older -Like in your 60s its very hard to drive on and get out of the boat-when its stilll in the water ,Best for me is to winch on as I fish with an unlisenced person.

My son can not drive so I back the boat in as close to the jetty as possible then just step in launch my son then holds the boat while I park the car the same in reverse back the trailer in as class to the jetty as poss drive the boat on the just step on to the jetty the one job he can do is put the winch strap on.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:26 pm

My old boat i reverse the trailer down, drive the boat on, turn the motor off and lift it up, climb out over the front hook the saftey chain on and get off the trailer with dry feet with in minutes.
Still getting use to the new trailer only had it out once and screwed it up i think took a few times to get on strait but needed a second person to hook the saftey chain on before i turned the motor off cos the boat just slides off.

Return to “Boating”