driving the boat onto the trailor

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: driving the boat onto the trailor

Post by barra mick » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:32 pm

smile0784 wrote:My old boat i reverse the trailer down, drive the boat on, turn the motor off and lift it up, climb out over the front hook the saftey chain on and get off the trailer with dry feet with in minutes.
Still getting use to the new trailer only had it out once and screwed it up i think took a few times to get on strait but needed a second person to hook the saftey chain on before i turned the motor off cos the boat just slides off.
I leave the motor in forward to hold the boat on when im by myself(which is often).....not sure if you could do this also .??

Cheers bm

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:15 pm

barra mick wrote:
smile0784 wrote:My old boat i reverse the trailer down, drive the boat on, turn the motor off and lift it up, climb out over the front hook the saftey chain on and get off the trailer with dry feet with in minutes.
Still getting use to the new trailer only had it out once and screwed it up i think took a few times to get on strait but needed a second person to hook the saftey chain on before i turned the motor off cos the boat just slides off.
I leave the motor in forward to hold the boat on when im by myself(which is often).....not sure if you could do this also .??

Cheers bm
That''s exactly how we retrieve my mates boat.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Have to leave in gear till safety chain and winch is attached then i can turn motor off.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Have a look at recover easy I had one on my previous trailer the cost about $120 simple idea works great he sells them at fishing shows etc and probably Facebook . I also had an l and r latch on my streaker 545 Whitchurch was great but expensive

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 pm

barra mick wrote:I was at werrible south today and I was amazed how many people dont drive there boat straight onto the trailor.....it looked liked maybe a few were once a year boaties but they all cant be inexperienced

It took some fisherman btw 10 and 15 mins to get there boat on and trailor out ....so its a fair wait to get out if you behind a few boats.

It is what it is but its not bad skill to learn

Bm
I can drive my boat on at Morington, and Patto, but this weekend at Portland, the skeg kept hitting the ramp, so it was wind on only. I had had the rear springs raised and strenghtened this has meant that the trailer is at a sharper angle, so when the boat is in the process of being loaded on the trailer, the bow is higher in the air and the stern lower in the water.

so it depends on the ramp.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
barra mick wrote:I was at werrible south today and I was amazed how many people dont drive there boat straight onto the trailor.....it looked liked maybe a few were once a year boaties but they all cant be inexperienced

It took some fisherman btw 10 and 15 mins to get there boat on and trailor out ....so its a fair wait to get out if you behind a few boats.

Bm
I can drive my boat on at Morington, and Patto, but this weekend at Portland, the skeg kept hitting the ramp, so it was wind on only. I had had the rear springs raised and strenghtened this has meant that the trailer is at a sharper angle, so when the boat is in the process of being loaded on the trailer, the bow is higher in the air and the stern lower in the water.

Not sure if this helps you out but you but on shallow ramps I use the tilt on the motor to raise the skek ascskkn as the nose ioff the boat hits the trailor.

this eliminates the skeg or prop hitting on a shallow ramp

Cheers bn

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 am

Stewy wrote:I see a lot get into trouble just by not reversing deep enough without realising , hence why they don't do drive ups/off maybe .
My son started driving our boat onto our trailer when he turned 12. It's easily done if everything is right. Its a fine line on some tralers as to how deep you need to be . We've got a roller trailer with a couple of centring skids on the back. Too deep and the boat will not centre on the trailer and float off centre and sideways. Too shallow and the boat just won't go on all the way. The centering skids have to be adjusted right and you need a little momentum initially. Then its a litte practice. My bow got scratched badly on one occasion - actually gauged the top coat to the fibreglass. I fixed it by using a 2 part epoxy bought from Discount Seamart. Then sanded and painted with Dulux fast drying epoxy enamel bought from Bunnings. You wouldn't even know it was gouged.

Joe

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 am

barra mick wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Bm

Not sure if this helps you out but you but on shallow ramps I use the tilt on the motor to raise the skek ascskkn as the nose ioff the boat hits the trailor.

this eliminates the skeg or prop hitting on a shallow ramp

Cheers bn
I do raise the propeller as far as possible. Even with the motor tilted as far as possible as the boat moves onto the trailer the stern lowers. The car is reversed back until the trailer hitch is just a bit further behind the water line. It means getting wet feet, on this ramp. Next time I go I will try the newer ramps and see if they are better.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:05 pm

The rhyll boat ramp at high tide is bad for the skeg hitting the ramp the ramp angle tapers off as the tide rises. not to bad the skeg hitting driving on but if it hits as you are driving off the skeg can dig in and snap a piece off

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Have you got a 25" motor on a 20" transom wolly? Seem to have a lot of bad luck with hitting the skeg.

Portland ramp is a great ramp. Shouldn't be hitting the skeg unless there's something wrong. Potentially reverse further to compensate for the different angle on the trailer?

Return to “Boating”