Out riggers with or without tag lines?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Out riggers with or without tag lines?

Post by smile0784 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi all
Im looking into getting some out riggers for the new boat.

Just wondering if people use tag lines on their out riggers when trolling or if they just standard setup?

What are the pros and cons for both?

Cheers ricki

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Out riggers with or without tag lines?

Post by Nude up » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:58 am

I use tag lines I reckon they work great.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 am

I use tag lines for lures for livies I don't

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am

Pro's: less drop back, so there is no jolt when a marlin takes the lure, the pressure goes straight to the rod tip.

Cons: can be fiddley, and can twist up in the line sometimes if you aren't vigilant.

You can always get some tag lines, then try with and without to see what you prefer

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 am

I was tired last night when I replied anyway my outriggers are two piece but you can not take the apart so are difficult to travel I have made neoprene covers for them as they are carbon fibre. As Scott said they do get tangled but not when they are fitted to the boat I have spears fitted to the tips to prevent that. My mate just re strung his outriggers and made his tag line clip on clip off great idea I will make mine like that next time I re do mine. When trolling lures I believe tag lines are a must. I also have a shotgun rigger with a tag line so I can put my rod in the transom rod holder I would never be able to get a loaded rod out of the rocket launcher. The advantage of tag lines is lures normally have j hooks so reducing the angle of the line there is less slack in the line and ensures a clean hook up .
When trolling live baits we have the right rigger out but put the line through a release clip spreads the baits and with the line going out to the tip of the rigger then to the bait acts as drop back and ensures the marlin has got the bait well down before we up the drag on the circle hook.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks guys sounds like tags lines worth a try

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Tag lines with elastic bands tied to the tag and then looped to the fishing line are certaily the way to go. Elastic bands hold well and snap off reliably when a fish takes it, and there is less jolt ln the fishes mouth and so the hook is less likely to tear out. I used to use clips at the end of the tag line and have always found them fiddley.

Joe

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I use a roller bearing snap at the end of the tag line rubber band around the line then attach to the snap. I don't use cork balls I use a squash ball at the end of the tag line they float and don't hurt if you get hit with it

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 am

Nude up wrote:I use a roller bearing snap at the end of the tag line rubber band around the line then attach to the snap. I don't use cork balls I use a squash ball at the end of the tag line they float and don't hurt if you get hit with it

That would work well. I remember a cork ball falling apart into 2 halves and having to glue it togrther. Squash balls are a great idea. I still dont bother wit release clips.

Joe

Return to “Boating”