New to Boating: Advice for First Boat?

tropicalfisher

Re: New to Boating: Advice for First Boat?

Post by tropicalfisher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am

bowl wrote:Whatever u just get it insured.
If u wanna fish the rip,get a Caribbean belmont,haines v17 .ect 5meter plus
I went from 4meter tin can to 4.9 caribbean.

Spent 5 years in tinny n will not be taking carinbean to rip to i have logged some serious hours.

With your budget,savage kestrle,brooker fishermen,
Quintrex dory,
Prob need ,5k
Boats will be tiller but fine for ppb bay if you pick what days you fish weather wise.
Thanks for including good brands. Very helpful. When you say "will not be taking caribbean to rip" does that mean it isn't suitable or that the tinny handles the rip fine?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:31 am

Before you buy I would suggest hiring a boat from one of the hire companies along the peninsula. This will give you the chance to make sure you enjoy fishing from a boat and also give you an idea of how a boat feels out on the water. It might make you reconsider your initial criteria.

Being out on the water is an absolute blast but when things aren't going right it can become very uncomfortable very quickly without any help or aid close by. You want to make sure that no matter what boat you have that you are confident in it's abilities when the **** hits the fan.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 am

tropicalfisher wrote:
bowl wrote:Whatever u just get it insured.
If u wanna fish the rip,get a Caribbean belmont,haines v17 .ect 5meter plus
I went from 4meter tin can to 4.9 caribbean.

Spent 5 years in tinny n will not be taking carinbean to rip to i have logged some serious hours.

With your budget,savage kestrle,brooker fishermen,
Quintrex dory,
Prob need ,5k
Boats will be tiller but fine for ppb bay if you pick what days you fish weather wise.
Thanks for including good brands. Very helpful. When you say "will not be taking caribbean to rip" does that mean it isn't suitable or that the tinny handles the rip fine?
My caribbean will be ok in rip, I just need to spend time in the boat .

People take little tinnys in rip,buti would not.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 am

I seem to do more damage to my boat whilst it's still on the trailer (Aluminium dents, fibreglass cracks...I prefer dents)

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:06 am

Its not just boat repairs that are the problems, its the engine repairs and things like that, which adds costs.
You need to use any boat a lot before taking it to a place like the rip. I wouldnt take anything under 6mtrs through the rip anyway, but i wouldnt fish somewhere that the conditions can change so drastically either.

Go to the boat show in june/july and have a look at boats and what would suit, then go from there. If you think you can take a boat you got for less than 3k out into the rip/port phillip bay, you need to go look at the bay on a choppy day.

like i explained, you wont get anything under 5-6 grand thats worth taking out into the bay. I have a 3.75mtr tinny and have had it 12+ years, and still am super careful when i use it ie winds and weather.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 am

Agree with the above

The boat show is great so you can see all the options

I was fishing out the rip on thursday....it started off shithousre and when I left it was bordering on horiffic

You need some experience bf you go there

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 am

barra mick wrote:Agree with the above

The boat show is great so you can see all the options

I was fishing out the rip on thursday....it started off shithousre and when I left it was bordering on horiffic

You need some experience bf you go there
Sounds like a plan. No fish is worth risking your life, I'm sure. Are currents/conditions as bad at Queenscliff as at the Rip? Queenscliff is supposed to have great squid and whiting.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 am

For a $3k budget your probably not going to get something too stable or that is less then 10 to 15 years old.

And would highly.recommend not going out on rough day. If your looking at aluminium, your looking at a light boat probably around 150 to 200kg and wont be heavy enough to be stable for rough weather even with 2 guys and gear in it. and probably cant fish more then 1 to 2 people.

My old hull was 600kg then 150kg for the motor and by the time you add 3 guys, gear, fuel, food and drinks so total in water around 1000kg and still got rocked around in 10knot winds and sloppy water in port phillip.

It was a 5.2mt quintrex caddy cab

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 am

smile0784 wrote:For a $3k budget your probably not going to get something too stable or that is less then 10 to 15 years old.

And would highly.recommend not going out on rough day. If your looking at aluminium, your looking at a light boat probably around 150 to 200kg and wont be heavy enough to be stable for rough weather even with 2 guys and gear in it. and probably cant fish more then 1 to 2 people.

My old hull was 600kg then 150kg for the motor and by the time you add 3 guys, gear, fuel, food and drinks so total in water around 1000kg and still got rocked around in 10knot winds and sloppy water in port phillip.

It was a 5.2mt quintrex caddy cab
How much did your Quintrex cost you? Is there much difference between motors for fiberglass vs aluminum, besides the hp?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am

Bought 7 years ago from Sydney for $12500 from memory
Just sold for 9000.
It was 23 years old
Traditionally Fiberglass is heavier so needed more hp but with modern technology and better motors hp is on par with old motors vs new technology on newer motors i think.

Return to “Boating”