Tinny Flat Floor

Brooker

Tinny Flat Floor

Post by Brooker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Just after some suggestions on putting in a flat floor into my 12ft tinny! I have the frame sorted just woundering what ply?! I don't want it too heave but still want it too last? Also was thinking i would marine carpet over the seats as well as the floor, a mate said he is forever wiping his seats dry though so now I dunno if I want to have a wet carpet seat. Any one done this ? Cheers

donutcrooks

Re: Tinny Flat Floor

Post by donutcrooks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Have you thought of high density polyethylene sheets or would that be too heavy for your tinny?

I done some research and someone had said laminated glass covered in marine carpet but I think you would need to rubber line it all.

Brooker

Post by Brooker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Might have to look into them! Have no idea about either of them!! Cheers

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd use 12mm marine ply for the floor and get a vinyl cushion or install a seat, carpet takes too long to dry.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 am

I have 12mm ply and carpet on mine. Down side for carpet is , hooks get caught in it, blood and guts are hard to clean , carpet and ply stay wet for a long time. You have to hose it with quite a bit of pressure to clean it then leave the boat uncovered in the sun to dry. A better option is paint the ply to seal it, then put tube matting over it. Much easier to clean and holds less water.
Attachments
IMAG0004.jpg
IMG_20160430_104358.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Brooker

Post by Brooker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks for the info! Good idea! Did you get marine ply?! Did you get that stuff from Clark rubber or somewhere like that?!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 am

if you carpet it, it will get wet obviously, and its going to be a problem in winter moreso.
i have never washed my casting deck carpet, more so because im not using much bait and i dont have fish that are bleeding on the carpet. i will eventually just use some carpet cleaner on it when it gets too dirty
i have used the Formply kind of stuff that you get in bunnings (its a dark chocolate brown in colour) and its also got some sort of water proofing already on it, i used artifical turf glue to stick the carpet on and as the glue dries it also forms a waterproof layer as a bonus.
the wood i used is 17mm thick i think so its quite sturdy.
i would use aluminium frame to save weight
buy marine carpet that has backing if you want water to not seep through. (good luck getting it to mold around bends though)
use a heat gun and warm up the Non backed marine carpet when doing edges (its a lifesaver)
use stainless steel staples to hold carpet in place until the glue dries, leave them in though so its a double secured
have a sharp knife and spare blades (makes a big difference)

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am

Brooker wrote:Thanks for the info! Good idea! Did you get marine ply?! Did you get that stuff from Clark rubber or somewhere like that?!
Clarke rubber has it. Mine is flooring ply. Seems to be ok after 6years
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Brooker

Post by Brooker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 am

Awesome, I'll go suss out what they have!!

Return to “Boating”