Where to put in more rod holders?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Where to put in more rod holders?

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi all
Spent a while thinking where to put more rod holders for when out game fishing?

So far there on each sede there is 1 gunnel rod holder and 2 rail rod holder and then 2 rod holders the bait board.

Option 1
Im tossing up removing the 2 rail rod holders and put a gunnel rod holder near the transom but the game reel handles hit the rail,

Option 2,
Leave the rail rod holder at the transom, removing mid deck rail rod holder and putting the game rods in the bait board holder and clipping the line back to each side bollard with elastic bands when trolling ,

Or option 3
What would you do

Pic added to help discribe what i meam
20170321_165311.jpg
Any thoughts people i cant make up my mind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Where to put in more rod holders?

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm

I would replace the gunnel mount plastic rod holders with stainless steel I had one snap on me when a shark did a big run before I could get it out of the holder.are you running outriggers if not just use the two fwd gunnel mount and shotgun one off the bait board.

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm

I'd most likely replace the side ones with screw on stainless steel ones and then stainless steel ones at the back. Can always remove/add for what you feel like. Just take some tools with you. :-)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 pm

[quote="Nude up"]I would replace the gunnel mount plastic rod holders with stainless steel I had one snap on me when a shark did a big run before I could get it out of the holder.are you running outriggers if not just use the two fwd gunnel mount and shotgun one off the bait board.[/quote

No out riggeres yet. So should i just run 3 rods?

If i do eventually get out riggers should i only then put rod holders down near the transom?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 pm

If you are going to pull lures to keep them apart 3 would be the best you could do with the holders you have if you buy outriggers the two fwd rod holders will go to them then if you put more rod holders at the transom you can run a short and long corner.
I originally used my rocket launcher as the holder for the shotgun rod but when a marlin took the lure I was not tall enough to get the rod out luckily my mate was 6ft3 and got it out since then I run a shotgun rigger with a tag line and have the rod in a transom rod holder. Remember when a marlin hits and runs, if running a 50 that's 8kg of drag you have to push the rod fwd to relieve the pressure on the rod holder so you can pull it out of the holder

Return to “Boating”