Latch on trailer coupling broke off. Some questions

rodderslw

Latch on trailer coupling broke off. Some questions

Post by rodderslw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:22 pm

After washing the boat at a car wash the crossover had a dip and on turning out i heard a clunk. The latch on the trailer coupling was sheared right off! Drove the last 2 km home carefully. Anyone have this happen? I had to buy a whole coupling kit to replace it all. How tight should I adjust the ball coupling? I have it so its not loose and there is a bit of friction when it turns. Is it too tight? Will it wear grooves in the tow ball? Any advice appreciated.
Attachments
20170316_174107-1.jpg

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Latch on trailer coupling broke off. Some questions

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:15 pm

im suprised you managed to break that part mate, the towball coupling should be free to move/swivel around but not too free so that it bangs around when slowing down/taking off etc.
i would adjust the nut just to take away the clanging, but not so tight that it restricts movement.

col1
Has liked: 9 times

Post by col1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 am

I did the same thing a little While ago, stupid me drove
Home from the ramp with the coupling lock on when I tried to take the the trailer off
It was cracked and pretty much just fell off, a new one was about 70$ from supa cheap

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 am

Looking at the rust it has been cracked for a while and where it's not rusty let go with minimal impact. Google how to adjust tow hitch receiver there is loads of instructions from caravan forums etc. a good warning for all forum members to inspect their tow hitch from time to time.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 pm

I just got a towbar fitted on my car and this time I asked them the same question. They said to adjust it so its tight and back it off quarter to half a turn. On my last car something (ball or coupling) wore to a point where I hit a bump I would hear a slight bang. I also had had a look on the net and the consciousness was to use the ball by itself (not connected to the car) and tighten the nut and back it off 1/4 a turn. I did this and maybe went 2/3rds to be conservative and its been good ever since.

Having said all of this which was to answer your question, I would however suggest that corrosion is your issue.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Been buggered for a while I'd think, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks for the replies peeps. Yes it look like it was rusted. I noticed when putting on the new coupling there is a big spring underneath. I should have greased it first. But there is a nipple to put a grease gun. I will try this.

Return to “Boating”