Launching from Hastings

Hydroman

Launching from Hastings

Post by Hydroman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of giving Hastings a try this weekend for the 1st time. Are there any concern with the Hastings Channel at low tide and secondly, once I get into the North arm, is the water depth ok or are there areas where I still need to be careful (ie how far out of the channel can you go without running aground)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Terry

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Launching from Hastings

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Hey mate, What size boat do you have? If you stick to the channel you should be fine even at low, I only have a 4.55 quinnie however, so I dont have experience in a larger boat.

Once out of the channel, in the north arm, there are sand bars randomly around, even in the middle of the bay. Best bet is keep an eye on you GPS, and make sure you have decent maps installed, and you will be fine.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I have used Hastings many times I have a 6.5 mt Haines no issue with the channel at low tide I just follow the markers, I don't go outside the markers even at high tide most locals do but I am a wuss

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 pm

No issues with the channel at low tide Hydroman. In fact, it's the best time to explore if you're new to the area....easier to see where the good water is. Enjoy.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Hydroman wrote:Hi Guys,

I am thinking of giving Hastings a try this weekend for the 1st time. Are there any concern with the Hastings Channel at low tide and secondly, once I get into the North arm, is the water depth ok or are there areas where I still need to be careful (ie how far out of the channel can you go without running aground)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Terry
I launch very often in Hastings..

I just retrieved my boat (bar crusher 6.1m) on 0.6m low tide.. not a problem. Makes it a bit hard with wind but no problem as the boat catch comes in handy lol
It varies and it's hard to say. I would not cross many areas of middle spit (but some boats will.. as I sit there watching in horror)
I'm about to drive home from work, so I'll jump on later and give you some more information a bit later as I'm on talking fishing tonight haha so need to watch that!!!!.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Nude up wrote:I have used Hastings many times I have a 6.5 mt Haines no issue with the channel at low tide I just follow the markers, I don't go outside the markers even at high tide most locals do but I am a wuss
Water up to the wreck = go anywhere. Water below = high and dry somewhere. Cutting around the back of sandstone, from the marina entrance to the last corner of the channel and straight across from the ramp, around the yacht moorings and out at the long island sandbars are the usuals*.

Ramp and channel are fine except for the very low tides where there's not enough water to launch, and on the lowest of lows cutting close to the dolphin (last starboard marker out) will see you at the very least dredging mud. Plenty of unmarked banks, except all are present on maps and GPS maps. Even the most basic of map reading skills should see you in and out safely without touching bottom.

*not technically legal as the official 5 knot zone covers quite alot of the bank so I'm not responsible for any fines incurred

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

cobby wrote:
Nude up wrote:I have used Hastings many times I have a 6.5 mt Haines no issue with the channel at low tide I just follow the markers, I don't go outside the markers even at high tide most locals do but I am a wuss
Water up to the wreck = go anywhere. Water below = high and dry somewhere. Cutting around the back of sandstone, from the marina entrance to the last corner of the channel and straight across from the ramp, around the yacht moorings and out at the long island sandbars are the usuals*.

Ramp and channel are fine except for the very low tides where there's not enough water to launch, and on the lowest of lows cutting close to the dolphin (last starboard marker out) will see you at the very least dredging mud. Plenty of unmarked banks, except all are present on maps and GPS maps. Even the most basic of map reading skills should see you in and out safely without touching bottom.

*not technically legal as the official 5 knot zone covers quite alot of the bank so I'm not responsible for any fines incurred
As I said I am a wuss thanks for the info it's the same at stoney point I have cut a few channels there as well

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 pm

just a quick note to say thanks to everyone....I am working late tonight so because there is a wealth of information, I will read everyones post tomorrow and may need to fire further questions as I see there are a few land(sea) marks that I am not familiar with.

Thanks again.
Terry

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Just stay within the markers, take it slow and you will be fine.

I haven't fished WP a huge amount but the few times I have I've worked out pretty quickly that you would be crazy to just fang around without charts or your eyes open. It's the complete opposite to PB and banks can come upon you very quickly at even a cruising pace.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 am

The ramp and channel are fine, the one thing I have had issues with is the bloody ticket machine... good luck with that one

Return to “Boating”