Anchor not holding

Hydroman

Anchor not holding

Post by Hydroman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Hey guys,

I have always had issues with the anchor holding when the winds get up. It does not matter how much rope I have out as I will drift with the wind. It is starting to bug me now and I need to do something about it. Today was the last straw as I was sick of the lines going under the boat and its almost impossible to fish when they anchor is not holding. 99% of the time I fish PPB and have a sand anchor......will a heavier chain make a difference or should I look for a different anchor?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Terry

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Anchor not holding

Post by CarlG » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Hydroman wrote:Hey guys,

I have always had issues with the anchor holding when the winds get up. It does not matter how much rope I have out as I will drift with the wind. It is starting to bug me now and I need to do something about it. Today was the last straw as I was sick of the lines going under the boat and its almost impossible to fish when they anchor is not holding. 99% of the time I fish PPB and have a sand anchor......will a heavier chain make a difference or should I look for a different anchor?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Terry
Hey mate, how much chain do you have between rope and anchor.?

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Try a SARCA and a boat length of chain. I've used them for over 15 years now and have never had one let go.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:46 pm

As a general rule the chain should be about half the width of the rope, and be about the same length as your boat. I found mine was slipping a lot too until I increased the length.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:40 pm

What size and length chain and what size sand anchor.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:00 pm

1.5x boat length of correctly sized chain to the anchor should see you out of trouble.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:27 am

ducky wrote:1.5x boat length of correctly sized chain to the anchor should see you out of trouble.
This.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:37 am

Hi everyone,

many thanks for all of the replies. I just measured the chain and to my surprise, it is only 2.2m vs a 5.4m boat. I also measured the anchor and it works out to be a 2.7kg anchor which on the BLA website it says its suitable for 4m (BLA recommend 3.6kg for 5m and 4.5kg for 6m). So its not wonder why I am having so many problems as neither the anchor or chain is up to the task.

Being slightly conscious of the weight to pull up, I want to change either the chain or the anchor 1st, try it out next weekend and if she holds, then all good, and if not, I will do the other. By reading the advise above, am I best to go for the longer chain 1st or will the longer chain be useless with the undersized anchor. I know it may be a suck and see exercise, but just seeking some recommendations as to what others would do 1st.

Thanks again
Cheers,
Terry

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 am

I'd be getting the chain length increased for a starter.
For beat results, you'll probably to up the anchor later anyway. Best guess, with the increased chain length, She'll hold fine normally, but if you get into a situation where you have increased tidal flow, (down the southern end of ppb, or most places in wp), then you might struggle.
I'm no way an expert on boating matters, only what I've learned from fishing on my mates boat..

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Start with 6 meters (OR MORE) of short link chain. Then look at a better anchor like sarca or mud magnet (or Bruce or plough)

Return to “Boating”