Drew a blank

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Drew a blank

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:57 pm

4liters was my deckie for the day, we left sorrento at about 530 in search for some live squid, The first spot of Sorrento drew a blank and we move towards Portsea, drifting we managed one squid and a cuttle , I don't think putting them together was a good idea as the squid disappeared,

Next stop was off Queenscliff where we managed 4 squid, but sadlly my makeshift life bait tank didn;t work and the squid passed away peacefully.

Then we mingled with the hordes at the rip and didnt see anyone hook up, we gave a few drifts but nothing was showing on the sounder.

We headed out past the heads on seeing a few birds milling around. So we towed a few lures but sadly nothing nothing took interest in our offerings.

So we headed back to the rip and did some jigging and tried some baiting with our now deceased baits.

I rigged up a second bilge pump only to find out the salt water shorted it out, giving me a little tingle.

We again headed back toward Queenscliff and scored a few more live baits, that we managed to keep alive until we got back to the rip. The first live bait didn;t last that long with a qretty good hook up until the hool=ks pulled. Meanwhile the leatherjackets were making mince meat of the dead baits.

We headed towards the entrance with the idea of heading outside, except I thought that perhaps it might be better to wait a while, eventually after about 90 mins it seemed to settle down abit, but then looks can be deceiving as we soon found our selves in slight choppy seas. After making it through we headed toward the Canberra and had a bit of a drift with baits, only to be teased with small bites and no hook ups.

I managed to gerry rig another bilge pump, that worked for a while, not sure if the pump failed or the line became blocked. We drifted into the marine park, and fortunately received a warning, the co-ordinates are now in my gps with a big red cross mark.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Drew a blank

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Bad luck wolly you wouldn't be the first to drift into the marine park a guy did the same thing he is not sure if he is going to be fined.must have been loads of people at the heads today how many boats were off barwon heads.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 pm

Bad luck guys at least you gave it a decent crack :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:26 am

Was nice to meet you and put a face to the name, and thanks again for the trip.

Pity about the fishing though.

Nude up there was no sign of fisheries in the morning when the wind and tide had the boats drifting straight out the heads but as soon as the wind and tide changed and everyone was drifting towards the park they were all over it like a rash. I think they're being pretty lenient on people as unless you have the coordinates it seems really hard to spot the edge of the park - I wouldn't recommend tempting fate with them though.

Didn't see many boats off the heads
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 am

Loving the report phil.
Pity the flsh didn't play game.
Did you mark any kings on the sounder at all?
Hopefully better luck next time.
I reckon livies will be the go rather than jigging

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:27 am

Bad luck guys. I think if the kings are there you're onto them, if not then it's a lot of work for no results. ive found that keeping squid alive is easier if you don't put them in a live tank or bucket (they just ink it up and drown in their own muck). Instead, put them in a catch bag and hang them over the side of the boat in the water. They seem to get stuck at the bottom but stay alive for a long time. 2 caveats, remember to pull them into a bucket in the boat before you motor off and don't try this when sammy seal is about. Better luck next time fellas.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:21 am

skronkman wrote:Bad luck guys. I think if the kings are there you're onto them, if not then it's a lot of work for no results. ive found that keeping squid alive is easier if you don't put them in a live tank or bucket (they just ink it up and drown in their own muck). Instead, put them in a catch bag and hang them over the side of the boat in the water. They seem to get stuck at the bottom but stay alive for a long time. 2 caveats, remember to pull them into a bucket in the boat before you motor off and don't try this when sammy seal is about.Better luck next time fellas.
I had thought about doing that.

Many a time when catching trout, have I taken off and forgot about the catch bag hanging over the side.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Yep woolly, I did it today and wrapped em around the prop! Amazingly it didn't kill any squid, didn't tear the bag and stalled the motor about half a second after shifting into gear! Inconceivable!

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:44 pm

skronkman wrote:Yep woolly, I did it today and wrapped em around the prop! Amazingly it didn't kill any squid, didn't tear the bag and stalled the motor about half a second after shifting into gear! Inconceivable!
:rofl: :rofl: :o_0:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:59 pm

**** happens quick when you don't want it to bad luck

Return to “Boating”