Buying a boat

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Buying a boat

Post by barra mick » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 pm

ratbag wrote:I have a topender side console, 4.5mt 60hp tin can bowl. Fuel under the floor, 2 front storage hatches. I upgraded the standard sounder, so get the better one to start. Mine came with the sounder. Make sure the wiring is not earthed to the hull! I fish 3 up lure casting easy, 2 up perfect. Do some research on the hulls & the ride they give. The TE has a great dry ride, crap wiring, motor on the pod is good & the same height freeboard all round.
yeah my toppy was earthed to the hull ....they all are

F...knows why

Bm

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Boat will be 90%ppb .
My shed us only 2.10 height...so counts out cuddy cabin n some runabouts.(if I had the storage would get streaker cuddy or similar 2nd hand)
Use to getting wet from my old open boat.
Quintrex 460 renegade is around 29k ,which I consider to much for that size boat.

Ideally max spend be around 25 ish k.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 pm

barra mick wrote:
chris srsc wrote:not sure where you are going to fish, but IMO an open boat not much good in PPB no protection, but they are perfect river boats... this is my thoughts, im not wrong or right ...i would not have one again to go open water..
not disagreing with you chris at all

Ive had open boats for a decade....ive fished everywhere in them....gulfs around aus, oceans down the coast, the Kimberly and 100km or more kms offshore...the same boat ive fished eldion and the murray.....

granted you will never get the soft ride off fibreglass and you get wet......but I never chose crap weather to go out in...but when it turns nasty you get wet.

also when I hit rocks and sand bars it survives

Cheers bm
id love to travel and fish like that...what a dream..
i had to run my tinny up the ramp at saftey beach ramp...went out at it was flat...turned real quick and wave were crashing o ramp...no way i was going to try put it on the trailer... so drove it up the ramp and the back end got swamped... but winched it up trailer straight off the ramp, if it was fibreglass...would of had to wait it out
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:27 pm

This is purely on opinion and a little bit of rumour with absolutely zero experience with those boats and motors....

Option 1. High sides for obvious reasons. Half pod setup for the fishability and room. Rear set console for the ride coupled with a 60hp command thrust Merc for the bigger gearbox.

The recent Savages are rubbish compared to older ones according to the grapevine

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Wouldnt all telwater boats ,savage,stacer,quintrex be made to similiar standars or same...,?

cobby

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 am

Given the history of whinges on all sorts of matters on telwater boats, even if 50% are a load of bull there's still a hell of a lot of 4pm Friday builds.....

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:31 am

chris srsc wrote:
id love to travel and fish like that...what a dream..
i had to run my tinny up the ramp at saftey beach ramp...went out at it was flat...turned real quick and wave were crashing o ramp...no way i was going to try put it on the trailer... so drove it up the ramp and the back end got swamped... but winched it up trailer straight off the ramp, if it was fibreglass...would of had to wait it out

You never have to wait it out at Safety Beach, you just head into the cove, they can't stop you, if you are sheltering from bad weather.

Westfish

Post by Westfish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 am

Positives of open boats - more flexibility in types of fishing. Lure casting ect.
Negatives - you are restricted by the weather. Any sort of wind and you will get wet.

I sold my center console after having it for 10 years fishing all over the WA coast.
Most of my fishing was lure based (had Minn kota) with plenty of off shore as well.
Very rarely would I fish at anchor as I was either casting or drifting (bottom bashing).
No good at all for "bait and wait" while at anchor in PPB for 2 up fishing.
Like all boat styles there are positives and negatives.

one2three

Post by one2three » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 am

ratbag wrote:I have a topender side console, 4.5mt 60hp tin can bowl. Fuel under the floor, 2 front storage hatches. I upgraded the standard sounder, so get the better one to start. Mine came with the sounder. Make sure the wiring is not earthed to the hull! I fish 3 up lure casting easy, 2 up perfect. Do some research on the hulls & the ride they give. The TE has a great dry ride, crap wiring, motor on the pod is good & the same height freeboard all round.
Why isn't it any good to wire the earth to the hull?

Thanks for sharing this info :-D

cobby

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

Forgot to say, forget adding electronics etc into the initial deal. Screw them as low as you can for bare bones bmt package and do everything else yourself or organise other business to do it for you. Hell see if they'll run the wiring for the gauges without actually installing them so you can get the dash setup exactly as you want.

No point getting average whatever thrown in that you'll upgrade not to far down the track or a layout that doesn't exactly work for you all because it was easier to get it done at the place of purchase as part of a package

Return to “Boating”