Tinny on a budget

efendy

Re: Tinny on a budget

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:26 pm

bowl wrote:Minimum ,420 quintrex,410 brooker....old savage or stacer 4 meters plus..
Just take a 3.7 for test ride n.test ride 420 quintrex dory.

You will be suprised how much more stable n deeper the the 420 quinny is....
Duly noted mate, I'll take a look at them and try to test run.
Cheers

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 pm

Nightwish wrote:With all this talk about buying boats l hope you have a boat licence
:cheers:
It's in the works mate, appreciate the reminder as I know many people who want boats don't have any idea if they need one :rofl:
Last edited by efendy on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 pm

silloth wrote:why not just book a few charters or hire boats already kitted out and ready to go plus boat lic not needed
Thanks mate, good idea. I'll convince my fishing mates for that first outing I guess.
Cheers

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:09 am

I know little about fibreglass boats. Cheap boats are often cheap for a reason. Boating is not a cheap hobby but well worth the expense in my opinion. I honestly don't know what else to live for other than a few good mates on a boat fishing, laughing, talking rubbish and having a good time.

I reckon you did the right thing asking here on the forum, lots of good, honest opinions from people that have been there and done it.

Don't be discouraged, get out there with your family, fish for a feed and a laugh, just be safe and end the day on a high note. Go for a fish with others that have boats and get the feel of it, you'll know soon enough what suits your needs before you spend your cash.

I give it 12 months before you've got the bug and saving for a 7 metre hard top for offshore tuna! :)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:57 am

skronkman wrote:I know little about fibreglass boats. Cheap boats are often cheap for a reason. Boating is not a cheap hobby but well worth the expense in my opinion. I honestly don't know what else to live for other than a few good mates on a boat fishing, laughing, talking rubbish and having a good time.

I reckon you did the right thing asking here on the forum, lots of good, honest opinions from people that have been there and done it.

Don't be discouraged, get out there with your family, fish for a feed and a laugh, just be safe and end the day on a high note. Go for a fish with others that have boats and get the feel of it, you'll know soon enough what suits your needs before you spend your cash.

I give it 12 months before you've got the bug and saving for a 7 metre hard top for offshore tuna! :)
100% agree with this....whatever you buy make sure it's decent so it's easy to sell....you'll always be wanting something bigger.

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:46 am

bowl wrote:Minimum ,420 quintrex,410 brooker....old savage or stacer 4 meters plus..

Agree...4.2m deeper v like a quintrex dory or the brooker fisherman is heaps more boat than 3.7m.

4.2m with a tiller steer has heaps of room and really versatile. Later you could get a nice bow mounted electric. Id recommend an unpainted finish btw

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 pm

skronkman wrote:I know little about fibreglass boats. Cheap boats are often cheap for a reason. Boating is not a cheap hobby but well worth the expense in my opinion. I honestly don't know what else to live for other than a few good mates on a boat fishing, laughing, talking rubbish and having a good time.

Thanks for the encouraging words mate. It's all for having fun and it's not worth having a risk when it comes to boating - this is a very important message from you and everybody who has participated agreed on this - very positive and responsible responses from everyone so thank you.

Regarding the 7 metre hardtop offshore machine - I've always dreamed about this like everybody else here :-D As I've been fishing for years as a landbased angler I spent a lot of money towards this purpose including a 4WD for annual Robe trips, I am kind of broke :rofl:

But you, Matt and others convinced me to save and get something bigger with less headache.
I sill have a lot of time to think about and save money. I'll see if I can stretch my budget to 5K and evaluate my options.
Thanks a lot

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Mattblack wrote:
100% agree with this....whatever you buy make sure it's decent so it's easy to sell....you'll always be wanting something bigger.
Yeah, you've described me there. I've never been a sentimental person - if there is a chance for an upgrade, I'll do it immediately :a_goodjob:

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 pm

rodderslw wrote:

Agree...4.2m deeper v like a quintrex dory or the brooker fisherman is heaps more boat than 3.7m.

4.2m with a tiller steer has heaps of room and really versatile. Later you could get a nice bow mounted electric. Id recommend an unpainted finish btw
I'll take a look at these mate! thank you. those watersnakes are in the list. very versatile for lure work, especially in lakes.

Do people use paint to hide dings, scratches, rust?

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:16 am

The 4.2 quintrex Busta is a great tinny too if you can get one for the right price. The millennium hull gives a good ride and the newer one (blade hull?) is probably even better but I haven't been in one. I think it handles up to 40HP. Ive taken one of these off shore (only slightly) in 2m of swell and still felt safe so for 3 people in the bay you'd be fine. I'm sure there are other good models from other manufacturers too. You can go an old school tinny for a lot less and they do float but are not really comparable in ride comfort, high sides, width, stability. Anything with rivets through the hull is really old Skool and probably best avoided in my opinion.

Paint on aluminium looks great when new but once a bit of corrosion sets in and bubbles and flakes off it looks awful. For a tinny just stick with bare aluminium.

Best advice I can give you when looking for a good boat at a good price (if it's feasible for your situation) is to buy in winter. You'll save heaps compared to this time of year.

Return to “Boating”