Tinny on a budget

efendy

Re: Tinny on a budget

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:45 am

purple5ive wrote:WELL DONE MATE. CONGRATS
i would change those ear muffs to one that has dual entry pipes.
the one you have water only goes into one side of the motor.
thats probably why the tell tale isnt flowing well.
Thank you! the actual problem was that the tell tale was blocked with sand including the tubing.
I opened it and now it works alright. Please see the video.
I bough the dual entry model upon your recommendation and it's now even better, thanks for that!

I intent to take it to a mechanic to get it checked as the sand would be in the system as suggested by other members.

Cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80xurxhio5ans ... 0.mp4?dl=0

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 am

I've been going back and forth between my work to have a look at the boat :) (I work from home so I am lucky) and everything except the steering looks solid.

It's an old cable-pulley system. I was advised that the cables are new but on close inspections pulleys don't look perfect. not bad but they look like they might just fail one day which scares me a lot. I also read that you would get lots of feedback from the motor with this system. I enquired about rotary cable system which most simple boats use I guess. They are affordable. The only thing is my tilt tube is pretty rusty (most common method for steering cable connection) and threads are gone a bit which also worried me a bit - I don't know how much more it would last without breaking. Also, steering bracket is pretty rusty being probably a carbon steel.
I have a few pics in the link below if anyone wants to have a look.
Cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f1o830idtbhf ... bVF_a?dl=0

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:58 am

It looks to be in very good condition to me. It's an old style of steering setup but it works. I wouldn't go spending money on it yet. Get your boat license and get on the water first. You'll get plenty of feedback but until you've got hydraulic steering that's just the way it is. You've got a boat, it floats, go fishing. Boats are a bottomless money pit and you will need to maintain, fix, add things all the time. Don't go looking for ways to spend money on it before you've used it (of course you will, we all do!) there will be plenty of opportunity to burn through cash on it soon enough. B.O.A.T - Bring On Another Thousand.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:00 am

Hey Efendy, if you ever get the chance, drop into Whitworths Marine in the city...they have all the bits and pieces you'll be after. Since its only 40hp, I don't think it's going to be overpowered for the pulleys (Whitworths have new ones if you want to replace them or to keep them as spare in the boat https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_searchresults.asp )

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 am

Hi and congrats on your new boat. I'm in the north too. There is TripleM Marine in Thomastown Tel. 9465 8787 and BL Marine in Preston Tel. 9478 1420.
Hope you get lots of great days out on it.

efendy wrote:Also, does anyone know a reliable mechanic I can go to in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne? Campbellfield, Thomastown, Epping? Around that area.
Cheers

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 am

skronkman wrote:It looks to be in very good condition to me. It's an old style of steering setup but it works. I wouldn't go spending money on it yet. Get your boat license and get on the water first. You'll get plenty of feedback but until you've got hydraulic steering that's just the way it is. You've got a boat, it floats, go fishing. Boats are a bottomless money pit and you will need to maintain, fix, add things all the time. Don't go looking for ways to spend money on it before you've used it (of course you will, we all do!) there will be plenty of opportunity to burn through cash on it soon enough. B.O.A.T - Bring On Another Thousand.
Sensible advice mate! especially on spending money :) I have a few hobbies that I spent a lot of money on (Fishing, 4WD, woodworking!) but boating seems to be the biggest money pit even rivalling baby products :rofl:
I've already bought a couple of 3 way rod holders. I will also buy a bait board to install in one of the rod holders and we should be set. Next is the licence.

Regarding the steering and pulleys (your comment made me think about it again), the pulleys on the sides of the splashwell are a bit wobbly. but they are connected to the housing via metal pins so I am guessing even if they break the cable should get stuck in the housing as the cables are going thorough the holes in the fibreglass the system should stay intact even if the pulleys come lose. same story with the other pulleys too. My concern was that if the system fails the motor would tilt to one side and send us overboard but unless cable breaks this wouldn't happen. Not that I am going to go fast or anything :a_goodjob:

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:28 am

Mattblack wrote:Hey Efendy, if you ever get the chance, drop into Whitworths Marine in the city...they have all the bits and pieces you'll be after. Since its only 40hp, I don't think it's going to be overpowered for the pulleys (Whitworths have new ones if you want to replace them or to keep them as spare in the boat https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_searchresults.asp )
Hi Matt, thank you for the heads up. I checked a couple of other sites too but the prices seemed a bit high for a simple plastic pulley (B.O.A.T. - see above :)) that's why I thought it would be better to upgrade the system. Good point regarding the motor power. As suggested by skronkman, I will take it to a lake and see how it goes. I am a bit restless when it comes to doing things :)
Cheers

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:30 am

Persistence wrote:Hi and congrats on your new boat. I'm in the north too. There is TripleM Marine in Thomastown Tel. 9465 8787 and BL Marine in Preston Tel. 9478 1420.
Hope you get lots of great days out on it.

efendy wrote:Also, does anyone know a reliable mechanic I can go to in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne? Campbellfield, Thomastown, Epping? Around that area.
Cheers
Thank you, Now, I am also a member of this secret cult!
I will give them a call mate, much appreciated!

whereabouts are you?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:18 pm

I can see this turning into a full.blown overhaul.
Boats are something that you can and will always spend money on specially when you just get it. And then you will want to buy a bigger boat and do exactly the same thing again. It never ends.
Keep it in good condition and enjoy it is what i say.
Cheers

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 pm

purple5ive wrote:I can see this turning into a full.blown overhaul.
Boats are something that you can and will always spend money on specially when you just get it. And then you will want to buy a bigger boat and do exactly the same thing again. It never ends.
Keep it in good condition and enjoy it is what i say.
Cheers
Yeah, I tend to overcapitalise a bit :) A bit perfectionist with everything I do - even if it's a 2K boat. I think I'll follow the advise here though and not spend much and try to enjoy and learn boating. I will probably save around 10K for another boat in a couple of years and get a proper fishing boat and I go from there up to the 7 meter offshore tuna boat I always wanted :victory:

Return to “Boating”