Tinny on a budget

efendy

Re: Tinny on a budget

Post by efendy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:38 pm

skronkman wrote:The 4.2 quintrex Busta is a great tinny too if you can get one for the right price. The millennium hull gives a good ride and the newer one (blade hull?) is probably even better but I haven't been in one. I think it handles up to 40HP. Ive taken one of these off shore (only slightly) in 2m of swell and still felt safe so for 3 people in the bay you'd be fine. I'm sure there are other good models from other manufacturers too. You can go an old school tinny for a lot less and they do float but are not really comparable in ride comfort, high sides, width, stability. Anything with rivets through the hull is really old Skool and probably best avoided in my opinion.

Paint on aluminium looks great when new but once a bit of corrosion sets in and bubbles and flakes off it looks awful. For a tinny just stick with bare aluminium.

Best advice I can give you when looking for a good boat at a good price (if it's feasible for your situation) is to buy in winter. You'll save heaps compared to this time of year.
Those size aluminium boats start at double my budget. I might have to save up and hire boats in the mean time.
Probably best plan is to save up and buy something in winter as you and others suggested.
Thanks for all the help and recommendations mate, appreciate it.
Cheers

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:00 am

Screenshot_2016-12-18-07-58-58.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

efendy

Post by efendy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:55 pm

bowl wrote:
Thanks Bowl, that actually looks great. The thing is I actually bought a fibreglass boat yesterday! I'll talk about it in me next post now.
Cheers

bowl

Post by bowl » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Wow congratulations on speedy purchase.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:27 pm

efendy wrote:
bowl wrote:
Thanks Bowl, that actually looks great. The thing is I actually bought a fibreglass boat yesterday! I'll talk about it in me next post now.
Cheers
Congrats on your boat purchase mate :thumbsup:

efendy

Post by efendy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi All,

I actually bought a boat yesterday. 15 foot swiftcraft runabout. 4.57 cm approximately.
I went to Ararat to pick it up. Towing went smoothly.
The boat was a project boat. The guy actually spent more than he bought the boat for. But I was able to snatch it for $2100.

I'll list the pros and cons based on my limited knowledge and judgement on boats but mind you I've been working with all sorts of materials and machinery for the most of my life as a hobbyist so I can't call myself a complete newbie.

Pros:
- the hull was completely overhauled by the previous owner who is a mechanic and a very fussy bloke including extreme attention to detail who came across very genuine and honest. He had lots of help from a mate who is a panel beater and had experience with fibreglass. they replaced the floor and painted it with anti-slip coating. The boat was also painted completely. New windscreen installed.
- Most of the trailer is new.
- New seats with storage space underneath.
- new steering wheel and cables were replaced. Control cables were also replaced as far as I remember. New starting battery and 8amp 7 stage charger that should cost 150-200 by itself.
- Transom looks good, again to my untrained eyes. Very clean and solid.
- New fuel tank with new fuel lines.
- new life jackets (4x), 2 fire extinguishers installed under seat. Oars and other stuff.
- Boat and trailer are currently registered. Boat has 11 months registration.

Cons:
- Most people would suggest 40hp electric start Yamaha would be under-powered - I would love to be told otherwise though! :rofl:
- Even though the motor was serviced, carburetors overhauled, spark plugs changed I have no idea about the motor. The bloke said it always started without a hitch (I included a video of motor running at my place).

Not sure:
Would this be stable enough in nice weather to do fishing with two average size blokes? I guess we will find out soon!

The motivation behind the sale, according to the guy was that he enjoyed the process of fixing it but he had other projects in line and there was no space in garage. His wife was also there and she made sure he sold it to me. While she was very happy to see the boat go, the guy was very upset. The guy was very genuine and genuine. He went through all the features of the boat which probably took 1 hour.

It looks (at least to me) too good to be true but I looks alright so I don't know!

I would love to hear any constructive inputs, what I should look for safety side of things. How I can go about getting the motor (compression?) and boat checked?
Thanks everyone who has/will contribute(d).
Cheers
Last edited by efendy on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowl

Post by bowl » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Looks alright.

efendy

Post by efendy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:44 pm

bowl wrote:Wow congratulations on speedy purchase.
Thanks heaps mate, I am a bit restless when I have something in mind but I would always do my research. I wanted something in the holiday period!
Cheers

efendy

Post by efendy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:45 pm

bowl wrote:Looks alright.
That's a good start!

efendy

Post by efendy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Lightningx wrote:
efendy wrote:
bowl wrote:
Cheers
Congrats on your boat purchase mate :thumbsup:
Thank you, hope it's first of many I would buy in the future!

Return to “Boating”