Tinny on a budget

efendy

Re: Tinny on a budget

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:46 pm

skronkman wrote:I don't think the boat you are talking about is suitable for fishing 3 people, especially an 80 year old. I also think you are taking a risk using something that size in the bay's with no experience. The weather can blow up quickly and a Boat that size can become dangerous. I have personally had hair raising experiences in a tinny of similar size in both WP and also shallow inlet, by hair raising I mean stupid and dangerous. I would not want my young son or elderly father in the boat on those occasions.

The smallest boat I would consider would be a 4.2m tinny with high sides and a decent motor of 25hp or greater (this will still be tight for 3 people to fish comfortably) Start off in protected and sheltered waters till you get some experience in different conditions and learn to keep a weather eye.

I'm speaking from experience as I made many poorly informed decisions about boating in my early, inexperienced days that not only scared the hell out of me and my crew but could have easily resulted in a fatal accident.

Once you have some experience in boating and reading the waves and weather then you may be able to use a small tinny at the right times with little risk but the scenario you are talking about is not a safe way to learn in my opinion.

Save up a bit more and get a bigger boat, you'll be glad you did (and so will your your father and son)

All the best mate.
Appreciate the help mate. Very good points and they have been taken on board with gratitude.
I was initially aiming using the boat strictly in lakes and estuaries but as the bay is close I thought why not.

How is this for a plan:
Get the boat I was talking about and use it only in lakes and estuaries until I learn how to operate the boat and read the water and upgrade the boat to something that is in 5+ metre range when I feel I am ready for a bigger one and PPB. Would there be any issues using the tinny in lakes and estuaries?

If I ever buy a tinny in that range, I would straight take it to one of the close lakes and practise launch and retrieve and operate the boat.

The reason I am rushing to get a boat is my dad is pretty old already and there is a chance he wouldn't be able to come to Australia again even though they try to come every year - so this is pretty personal.
Appreciate the help, cheers!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:52 pm

lake and the bay are very different mate.the bay can be flat like a lake and suddenly change with whitecaps. in that situation you need to know what to do when to do it to make it back safely.
if you have to absolutely buy the smaller craft then i would defenitely pick the best days possible with the weather if your heading into the bay and stay in close, so you can make a quick retreat if the weather turns.

have you considered hiring a boat for the bays, just to make the most of when your dads here
mornington boat hire is pretty good, and have some decent boats you can take out for a spin.

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:09 pm

purple5ive wrote:lake and the bay are very different mate.the bay can be flat like a lake and suddenly change with whitecaps. in that situation you need to know what to do when to do it to make it back safely.
if you have to absolutely buy the smaller craft then i would defenitely pick the best days possible with the weather if your heading into the bay and stay in close, so you can make a quick retreat if the weather turns.

have you considered hiring a boat for the bays, just to make the most of when your dads here
mornington boat hire is pretty good, and have some decent boats you can take out for a spin.
Great points, appreciate it. I think I've quickly changed my mind regarding using a small tinny in the bay after the feedback from people. I think it can wait until I get something bigger or as you said I would hire one. I would always play it safe so no hard feelings!

I skimmed though mornington boat hire's web site. It might also serve as an inspiration on what to look for a boat to buy.
Cheers

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:10 pm

You can always go for bream around Patterson Lakes (you're dad might like looking at the nice houses as well). Once your dad goes home, you and your son can fang around the bay at the 50 meter mark on a hot day and have some fun. Just make sure you're never more than a quick sprint back to the ramp in case the weather blows up. You don't need to spend a fortune to be safe and have fun on the water.

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Mattblack wrote:You can always go for bream around Patterson Lakes (you're dad might like looking at the nice houses as well). Once your dad goes home, you and your son can fang around the bay at the 50 meter mark on a hot day and have some fun. Just make sure you're never more than a quick sprint back to the ramp in case the weather blows up. You don't need to spend a fortune to be safe and have fun on the water.
Sounds like a plan! I never knew patterson Lakes existed. I'll definitely give it a try boat or landbased.
I need to take my son out more, with the ipads, xboxes we are ruining a generation!
Cheers

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:00 pm

I still think it's too small for 3 people to fish comfortably. And it's very small and unstable for an elderly person to be in. How about this for a plan, use the hire boats and /or charters with your family and save your pennies till you can afford something a little larger?

I'm sure it's a fine boat for near shore work in the right conditions with able bodied people on board. 3 on board is still a push for comfort and safety at that size.

I don't usually try to talk people out of buying a new toy, taking some risks (that's living after all) and having new adventures and a good time. I'm just concerned about the specifics of what you want to do with your boat and the age of your crew members. If it was you and a mate of similar age, adventure bound and good swimming abilities I could be swayed but one white knuckled, wet, scary ride back in against a stiff wind will stop your son from ever getting in the boat again (again, I know this from experience as my girlfriend refused to get back in my 10' tinny after fearing for her life in shallow inlet and I was the worst boyfriend in the world for the rest of the trip for putting her through it).

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Minimum ,420 quintrex,410 brooker....old savage or stacer 4 meters plus..
Just take a 3.7 for test ride n.test ride 420 quintrex dory.

You will be suprised how much more stable n deeper the the 420 quinny is....
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 pm

With all this talk about buying boats l hope you have a boat licence
:cheers:

silloth

Post by silloth » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:42 pm

why not just book a few charters or hire boats already kitted out and ready to go plus boat lic not needed

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:25 pm

skronkman wrote:I still think it's too small for 3 people to fish comfortably. And it's very small and unstable for an elderly person to be in. How about this for a plan, use the hire boats and /or charters with your family and save your pennies till you can afford something a little larger?

I'm sure it's a fine boat for near shore work in the right conditions with able bodied people on board. 3 on board is still a push for comfort and safety at that size.

I don't usually try to talk people out of buying a new toy, taking some risks (that's living after all) and having new adventures and a good time. I'm just concerned about the specifics of what you want to do with your boat and the age of your crew members. If it was you and a mate of similar age, adventure bound and good swimming abilities I could be swayed but one white knuckled, wet, scary ride back in against a stiff wind will stop your son from ever getting in the boat again (again, I know this from experience as my girlfriend refused to get back in my 10' tinny after fearing for her life in shallow inlet and I was the worst boyfriend in the world for the rest of the trip for putting her through it).
Thanks for bending over backwards to steer me in the right direction mate, appreciate it. Just to make it more clear, I didn't have in my mind to take the old young combination out to the bay as I am very inexperienced at the moment. I was thinking lakes and estuaries would be more suitable for them.
I actually have another crew who are my fishing mates - but three of us still be too much for the tinny as at least two of us are 100+ kilograms :-D
I was checking ebay and there are 15ft fibreglass runabouts which can be head for 3-3.5k if stretch my budget a bit.
I know they are more for cruising but still they should be alright for fishing right? Would these be alright for the bay or still too small?
This thread has been very informative for me so far, so thank you and everybody else who contributed again.

Return to “Boating”