Unexpected catch

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Unexpected catch

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Well the larger boat, is resting until I get the motor serviced, so I cleaned out the tinnie, fresh fuel and the plan was to tow some lures around, whilst logging the sonar for the comp.

Suddenly one of the rods started bending, then going slack only to bend again, so I started reeling it in and tug tug on the line, suddenly the line is up in the air, I turn around and a seagull decided that the lure would make a good meal.

It seemed rather strange having the line doing circles in the air. eventually the seagull spat the hook and took off.

I also ended up with 5 average size squid.

Might tow a squid around tomorrow and see what happens.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Unexpected catch

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 pm

I once hooked a seagull from Brighton pier on the cast out. It took out a fair bit of line then yanked down to the water when I closed the bail over! The gull certainly wasn't happy about it... but did manage to unhook himself on the fall!!

Either way, makes for good stories!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:40 pm

I got one on Frankston pier one time, put up a good fight, although the line was a funny angle. Sadly for me it didnt unhook itself and I had to basically sit on top of an angry gull while I unhooked the treble that had a hook through both the top and bottom beak.

It did provide a lot of entertainment for the crowd of people watching.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 am

I have a mate that has caught nearly every type of bird duck,seagull,cormarant a really angry one and lastly he hooked an eagle ray in wpb it went on a massive run turned 90 degrees and wrapped the line round a pelicans wing he ended up reeling both to the boat idiot here donned the gloves untangled the line off the snapping pelican then gaffed the ray I was tempted to gaff the pelican but I really like them.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:45 am

I nearly had one of my surf rods knocked into the water when a pacific gull flew into the line.

I've caught a few gannets when the lures I've been trolling haven't been deep enough too. **** those things, I've still got the scars on my hands form unhooking the bastard
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:58 am

I've hooked multiple gulls while throwing small surface lures. two Gannets , one while casting slugs into a bust up (this one took some good drag) and another just divebombing a retrieve while i wasn't looking. A bat that flew into one of my bait rods and tangled itself. Mutton birds stealing bait then being too tired to get away. a waterbird at wendouree that i only saw after my cast hit it full in the head. this one took off under water and stayed down for a worrying amount of time.

luckily, only one gull in all of these was actually hooked properly (corner of the beak; perfect!) and the rest were pretty easy releases

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:09 pm

I actually literally caught a penguin off the Lorne Pier while chasing salmon!
Here is the video to prove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU6SM35OGwY :D

you might ask: who the hell are you? I've been a member since 2012 but haven't been active at all.
Great forum, very helpful people - cheers!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:52 am

efendy wrote:I actually literally caught a penguin off the Lorne Pier while chasing salmon!

you might ask: who the hell are you? I've been a member since 2012 but haven't been active at all.
Great work putting it back ok

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 pm

efendy wrote:I actually literally caught a penguin off the Lorne Pier while chasing salmon!

Good to see it swim off safely :P

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 pm

barra mick wrote:

Great work putting it back ok

Bm
Lightningx wrote:

Good to see it swim off safely :P
People were very helpful indeed to get it back in the water. Lucky thing is that the Asian Crab guys naturally head a crab net that we used to pull the bird up onto the pier. otherwise it would have been very stressful both for me and the penguin.

Return to “Boating”