Flushing

mjmc16

Flushing

Post by mjmc16 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to flush my 75hp Evinrude outboard using the ear muff style flusher. I can never get a good flow of water and usually have to hold them and apply pressure to get water up into the engine and out of the tell-tale They are the basic style from BCF.

Has anyone had the same experience and are there better style ear-muffs out there that would do a better job?

Cheers

Michael

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Flushing

Post by purple5ive » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:15 pm

Have you got a single or dual entry model.
Single only has water entering on one side
Dual has water enter both muffs.

I find the dual ones are a lot better.

mjmc16

Post by mjmc16 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:27 pm

I've only got the single entry muffs.
I'll get a set of dual entry ones and try them.
Thanks for the advice!

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 am

Easy
Add a thick piece of Packing Rubber on the other side of the Wabbit Ears

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:46 am

Squeeze the metal arms together and make it a tighter fit.
Also do you have enought water pressure in your hose just a thort

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 am

How old is the motor? Could be an issue with your impellor

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:17 pm

If you have started the motor dry for any short amount of time, your impeller has probably shat itself. We have done this more than a few times on our boat!

If the impeller is gone then it will be very hard to get water up and out the tell-tale.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Michael,

Firstly apologies for asking maybe a silly question....but are you running the motor at the same time?

My understanding and please anyone with more knowledge than me please feel free to correct me but you should not even be trying to flush the engine (from the inlet to the outlet) with just the muffs without the engine running. The impeller will provide the suction required to get the water up through the internal galleries and out the tell tale. I also have an E-tec and when I purchased it, the mechanic told me only turn the tap on a little bit as you can damage **something** (sorry I forgot what would get damaged). Considering the impeller will provide the suction, this also makes logical sense to me.

If you want to flush the engine without running it, my engine has a threaded connection around the tell tale where you can fit a standard hose connection...I assume the 75cc has the same? When I am using the boat often, I just use this for 5 or 10 minutes when I get home (its also so handy when staying in a caravan park as you dont need to start the engine).

Cheers
Terry

mjmc16

Post by mjmc16 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've only just had a chance to read them all.

I bought a dual entry set of muffs and will try them on the weekend. Hopefully they make a difference.

Terry - I've also used the hose connection just near the tell tale to flush my engine without running it. Much more neighbour friendly when it's getting a bit late in the day. My only concern with doing it this way is that the engine is not getting a complete flush. I'm still not 100% sure which way is best. The dealer I bought the boat from said only to flush it using the muffs to ensure the engine gets a complete flush. I wish there was just one fool proof method for flushing.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 pm

I think you will find both ports on the leg are the same gallery, shine a torch in one port and the light will shine through to the opposite port, dual muff's won't make much difference into a single gallery, I would be more concerned about the impeller from the symptoms you are describing, also if you can get some thin wire and work it in the tell tale as far as you can it may dislodge any scale that may be in the tell tale hose partially blocking the water flow.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Boating”