Ramp equitte (etiquette)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Ramp equitte

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:42 am

ChrisAbout wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Last night I went to retrieve my boat and as I was about to line up, this bloke pulled in boat on trailer and decide to take the ramp that I was about to use, he then proceeds with headlights on to the reverse down the ramp.
This is more of a courtesy thing than a rule. In fact its not a rule at all!
You cannot blame a newbie for having their lights on on the launching ramp. They have the same rights as you do, they pay the same fee.

I know I'm gonna get a plate full for this, but I think the problem at the ramps is people that look out for these sort of things.
They weren't newbies, you can tell newbies easily, they were old hands at this and they were launching a 9 pm when it is dark.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:47 am

Run into the headlight thing all the time. Like all etiquette things sometimes you don't know you're actually doing the wrong thing until you're told. I'll generally ask a driver politely to turn off their headlights saying it makes it impossible to see. Haven't had any that have refused to turn them off when asked politely. reserve the anger for when they refuse.

A couple of weeks back I did an evening session and was returning on dark. A mate that is new to moving trailers was with me. I pulled up at the pontoon. Jumped out and reversed the trailer down. Threw him the keys when I got to the boat. I drove on the trailer, secured the winch and safety chain and he drove me off. Headlights blaring. I shouted out to turn off the headlights. Explained when we got it parked how it makes it impossible for someone else to see. All this equals another person taught. That's all you can do. Especially with the amount of people that are new to boating as it becomes more affordable.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am

ducky wrote:Run into the headlight thing all the time. Like all etiquette things sometimes you don't know you're actually doing the wrong thing until you're told. I'll generally ask a driver politely to turn off their headlights saying it makes it impossible to see. Haven't had any that have refused to turn them off when asked politely. reserve the anger for when they refuse.

A couple of weeks back I did an evening session and was returning on dark. A mate that is new to moving trailers was with me. I pulled up at the pontoon. Jumped out and reversed the trailer down. Threw him the keys when I got to the boat. I drove on the trailer, secured the winch and safety chain and he drove me off. Headlights blaring. I shouted out to turn off the headlights. Explained when we got it parked how it makes it impossible for someone else to see. All this equals another person taught. That's all you can do. Especially with the amount of people that are new to boating as it becomes more affordable.
I agree with what you are saying, People need to be taught, and explained how a ramp flow works.

I put my boat in at Mordi, and had to park the trailer up the road, when I came back in there was a queue to retrieve at Mordi one lane is for launching and the other for retrieving.

I was by myself, joined the queue of cars got to the ramp, reversed my trailer and expect to have go and get my boat, except some kind people had it next in line for me to pull it out, and it worked really well.

Sadly such courtesy is not as common as it could be.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Someone untied your boat and had it moved ready to put on the trailer??

Hardyakka

Post by Hardyakka » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:38 pm

I've been fishing at Mordi for a couple of months now and didn't realise there is an entry /exit ramp. Which one is which?

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:21 pm

theres no enter and exit ramp you use any as far as i know and ive used it a lot

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:13 pm

ducky wrote:Someone untied your boat and had it moved ready to put on the trailer??
Yep they moved it along the queue. It was my tinnie, not my current boat

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 pm

cahoona wrote:theres no enter and exit ramp you use any as far as i know and ive used it a lot
If I recall correctly there is a sign with when facing the water, the left hand lane for launching and the right hand lane for retrieving,

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 pm

I'll drop by there and take a picture if the sign is still there

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Def a entry n exit ramp at mordi.... Seen guys blow n nearly fist fight for using wrong lane,especially when busy.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”