Ramp equitte (etiquette)

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Re: Ramp equitte

Post by samjas1316 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Definitely sign posted launching and retrieving but there's usually common sense there as was the case this morning when we launched and no one was retrieving everyone just launched on the two ramps. When we came up to retrieve everyone came up on the retrieving jetty side and the trailers came down either boat ramp until someone needed to launch. They then came around the cars and trailers retrieving and launched on the launching (upstream) ramp.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 pm

samjas1316 wrote:Definitely sign posted launching and retrieving but there's usually common sense there as was the case this morning when we launched and no one was retrieving everyone just launched on the two ramps. When we came up to retrieve everyone came up on the retrieving jetty side and the trailers came down either boat ramp until someone needed to launch. They then came around the cars and trailers retrieving and launched on the launching (upstream) ramp.
I think this demonstrates that only a select few people read signs, however I also guilty of not reading signs, or think to myself, what did it say, and did I need to read it.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:00 pm

So for a fairly new angler like myself, at a ramp like Black Rock, I would assume that it just works in order of the line. I.e no one jumps ahead to retrieve a boat. This seems like common sense to me... but who knows, I could be wrong.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I got Asked to turn my headlamps off this morning.
I forgot about it totally. And its not something I'm used to doing either.

trueee

Post by trueee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:14 am

It sounds like summer has arrived Lol

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:48 am

ducky wrote:Run into the headlight thing all the time. Like all etiquette things sometimes you don't know you're actually doing the wrong thing until you're told. I'll generally ask a driver politely to turn off their headlights saying it makes it impossible to see. Haven't had any that have refused to turn them off when asked politely. reserve the anger for when they refuse.

A couple of weeks back I did an evening session and was returning on dark. A mate that is new to moving trailers was with me. I pulled up at the pontoon. Jumped out and reversed the trailer down. Threw him the keys when I got to the boat. I drove on the trailer, secured the winch and safety chain and he drove me off. Headlights blaring. I shouted out to turn off the headlights. Explained when we got it parked how it makes it impossible for someone else to see. All this equals another person taught. That's all you can do. Especially with the amount of people that are new to boating as it becomes more affordable.
I am quiet new at boating, for this reason I will always launch my boat when it is not busy....until I will know I am fast and good enough to go at busy time because I do not want to be a pain for others.....I getting there :victory:

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:28 am

Luluberlu wrote:
ducky wrote:Run into the headlight thing all the time. Like all etiquette things sometimes you don't know you're actually doing the wrong thing until you're told. I'll generally ask a driver politely to turn off their headlights saying it makes it impossible to see. Haven't had any that have refused to turn them off when asked politely. reserve the anger for when they refuse.

A couple of weeks back I did an evening session and was returning on dark. A mate that is new to moving trailers was with me. I pulled up at the pontoon. Jumped out and reversed the trailer down. Threw him the keys when I got to the boat. I drove on the trailer, secured the winch and safety chain and he drove me off. Headlights blaring. I shouted out to turn off the headlights. Explained when we got it parked how it makes it impossible for someone else to see. All this equals another person taught. That's all you can do. Especially with the amount of people that are new to boating as it becomes more affordable.
I am quiet new at boating, for this reason I will always launch my boat when it is not busy....until I will know I am fast and good enough to go at busy time because I do not want to be a pain for others.....I getting there :victory:
I have a drive on trailer, which is great when I have help, but I also go fishing by myself, and the first few times I managed to bend the prop twice, so this was getting rather expensive, so I would wind it on, sure it took longer, but saved me some money.

I am now better at driving it on, and haven't forgotten to raise the prop lately. but still it is a pain, climbing in and out of the boat. but that is giving me exercise.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:48 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
I have a drive on trailer, which is great when I have help, but I also go fishing by myself, and the first few times I managed to bend the prop twice, so this was getting rather expensive, so I would wind it on, sure it took longer, but saved me some money.

I am now better at driving it on, and haven't forgotten to raise the prop lately. but still it is a pain, climbing in and out of the boat. but that is giving me exercise.
That doesn't appear to add up but without knowing all the details I could be mistaken.
More than happy to help if you need it.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 am

frozenpod wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

That doesn't appear to add up but without knowing all the details I could be mistaken.
More than happy to help if you need it.
My prop got bent out of shape on two occasions, and I think it occurred when I was retrieving the boat by myself, and I didn;t raise the engine high to avoid the prop hitting the ramp.

It hasn't happened to me lately as I have been very careful to raise the prop higher when driving on to the trailer.

As I don't yet have boat latch, when I drive on, the engine is still running, I hop out of the boat, do up the winch and safety chain, hop back into the boat, turn off the motor and raise the leg even higher, get out of the boat, drive up the ramp and then tie down the boat.

At the Patterson river if I can get the trailer close enough, to the walkway, I can step from the boat onto dry land. Otherwise I have to wear waders to keep dry.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 am

You shouldn't need to raise the motor high when driving on. (I normally bump up the trim just a touch above level)

Raising the motor high can cause issues with the bow of the boat lifting and the stern dropping when driving on. This can lead to a skeg strike on the bottom but also results on the boat not going on to the trailer straight (depends on the trailer design and depth in the water).

Also the skeg is designed to protect the prop, unless the skeg is worn away or the wrong size prop is fitted you can touch the skeg on a flat surface ie concrete ramp and the prop will not be damaged. If there is a rock or the bottom is not flat then you can damaged the prop.

I would be double checking the size of the prop and the condition of the skeg.

Return to “Boating”