Ramp equitte (etiquette)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Ramp equitte

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:04 am

frozenpod wrote:You shouldn't need to raise the motor high when driving on. (I normally bump up the trim just a touch above level)

Raising the motor high can cause issues with the bow of the boat lifting and the stern dropping when driving on. This can lead to a skeg strike on the bottom but also results on the boat not going on to the trailer straight (depends on the trailer design and depth in the water).

Also the skeg is designed to protect the prop, unless the skeg is worn away or the wrong size prop is fitted you can touch the skeg on a flat surface ie concrete ramp and the prop will not be damaged. If there is a rock or the bottom is not flat then you can damaged the prop.

I would be double checking the size of the prop and the condition of the skeg.
It is a relative new motor, the skeg is fine and the prop is the standard one that comes with the Suzuki.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 am

Really? I've launched there 3 times in the past month and not been aware of a launch/retrieve lane. Should be open slather surely?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 am

Wooly, how deep are you putting the trailer in? Sounds like potentially not deep enough?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:37 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
frozenpod wrote:You shouldn't need to raise the motor high when driving on. (I normally bump up the trim just a touch above level)

Raising the motor high can cause issues with the bow of the boat lifting and the stern dropping when driving on. This can lead to a skeg strike on the bottom but also results on the boat not going on to the trailer straight (depends on the trailer design and depth in the water).

Also the skeg is designed to protect the prop, unless the skeg is worn away or the wrong size prop is fitted you can touch the skeg on a flat surface ie concrete ramp and the prop will not be damaged. If there is a rock or the bottom is not flat then you can damaged the prop.

It is a relative new motor, the skeg is fine and the prop is the standard one that comes with the Suzuki.
In that case you have been incredably unlucky as shouldn't have damaged the prop unless there was a rock or the ramp had a hole in it.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 am

ducky wrote:Really? I've launched there 3 times in the past month and not been aware of a launch/retrieve lane. Should be open slather surely?
Ramp flows better with two different lanes.
Unless sign has been removed ,Was there two months ago.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:55 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

In that case you have been incredably unlucky as shouldn't have damaged the prop unless there was a rock or the ramp had a hole in it.
Probably rock/loose lane marking plank.

On the boats I've driven back on (3 different boats, 5 different trailers), at ramps like Hastings, Patto 1+2, stony, sorrento and Mornington on all but low tide, having the water level roughly at the hitch all 3 boats have gone on easy. Just enough speed to maintain line with wind/prop wash, once it's on, ease throttle with motor trimmed out, if it starts to cavitate drop motor slightly and boat eases up to winch post without any lift of the bow

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:12 pm

ducky wrote:Wooly, how deep are you putting the trailer in? Sounds like potentially not deep enough?
The water is almost covering the wheel arches on the trailer, so it is about waist deep when I have my waders on.

The boat ramp at mornington has a concrete lip at the end of it.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:47 pm

cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Probably rock/loose lane marking plank.

On the boats I've driven back on (3 different boats, 5 different trailers), at ramps like Hastings, Patto 1+2, stony, sorrento and Mornington on all but low tide, having the water level roughly at the hitch all 3 boats have gone on easy. Just enough speed to maintain line with wind/prop wash, once it's on, ease throttle with motor trimmed out, if it starts to cavitate drop motor slightly and boat eases up to winch post without any lift of the bow
I do pretty much this too, on my trailer its when the hubs are just under water. Never had an issue in 200-300 launch/retrieves.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
ducky wrote:Wooly, how deep are you putting the trailer in? Sounds like potentially not deep enough?
The water is almost covering the wheel arches on the trailer, so it is about waist deep when I have my waders on.

The boat ramp at mornington has a concrete lip at the end of it.
That seems plenty deep enough to me. Normally I can roll my pants up and just dry my legs when I get in the boat. Its only cold for a minute or two!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm thinking it's to deep. Maybe Wolly, needs to find an empty ramp and try some different depths. If I wasn't so busy this time of yr I'd give him a hand.

Return to “Boating”