Patterson River Mouth during a Westerly

Linc

Patterson River Mouth during a Westerly

Post by Linc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:46 am

Just read somewhere that the mouth of the Patto can create a bit of a bar during a westerly. Planning on giving it a shot on Sunday where we have a forecast of a 20km westerly, I'm sure 20km won't be much of an issue but does anyone have any experience of this area during a westerly being a problem?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Patterson River Mouth during a Westerly

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 am

Linc wrote:Just read somewhere that the mouth of the Patto can create a bit of a bar during a westerly. Planning on giving it a shot on Sunday where we have a forecast of a 20km westerly, I'm sure 20km won't be much of an issue but does anyone have any experience of this area during a westerly being a problem?
My tinnie is 3.95 metres and I went down and asked at the gate as they collected my launching fee, if it was safe for me to go out side. I was told it should be alright.

Got out side and decided that I should not be there, and headed back in quick smart, broke the 5 knot rule as I did not want to get swamped by waves. A couple of blokes had launched a fibreglass ski boat, they went out, turned around and came back in, even though their boat was heaps larger than mine.

COWBOY

Post by COWBOY » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 pm

THE Patterson is no problem any time of wind or tide, make sure you keep near the yellow pole and dont turn untill past it. you will be fine,
go catch a red one for me, i am still waiting for my boat to come back from the shop :angry: :angry: :angry:
Cow boy

Linc

Post by Linc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Linc wrote:Just read somewhere that the mouth of the Patto can create a bit of a bar during a westerly. Planning on giving it a shot on Sunday where we have a forecast of a 20km westerly, I'm sure 20km won't be much of an issue but does anyone have any experience of this area during a westerly being a problem?
My tinnie is 3.95 metres and I went down and asked at the gate as they collected my launching fee, if it was safe for me to go out side. I was told it should be alright.

Got out side and decided that I should not be there, and headed back in quick smart, broke the 5 knot rule as I did not want to get swamped by waves. A couple of blokes had launched a fibreglass ski boat, they went out, turned around and came back in, even though their boat was heaps larger than mine.
What wind speed were you out in Mate?

Thanks Cowboy, I will give it a go, I tend to be pretty cautious so it should be fine, not allowed to go over half throttle on the boat yet anyway so won't be breaking any speed records.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Linc wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

What wind speed were you out in Mate?

Have no idea, except that the waves were breaking.

Return to “Boating”