Boat Cleaning & Salt-Away

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Re: Boat Cleaning & Salt-Away

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:40 pm

salt is only a problem if the boat sits long enough for the water in the water journals to dry out
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:35 pm

So what I've learnt today...stop washing boat, use it daily...I'm sold!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Thats the spirit

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Mattblack wrote:So what I've learnt today...stop washing boat, use it daily...I'm sold!
Yep sounds like a good idea

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 pm

I haven't used salt away, I think it's a bit of a rort, playing on the paranoid mind of saltwater boaties. Since when did water not dissolve salt? If you're using your boat weekly then I was told by a Honda service agent there is no need to flush it with fresh water (although I do unless I'm using it every few days). Think about all those moored boats and commercial vessels, how often do they get a fresh water rinse? Yes you must wait for the thermostat to open for your flush to work properly, this usually entails running the hose at about half pressure and waiting about 5 mins at around 1500rpm (on my motor at least). I believe that it is a good maintenance routine but I also believe that the new alloys being used for outboards from the big brands are much much better at resisting corrosion in salt water than the old stuff and that used by cheap brands. I think from about late 90's onwards.

Thanks for the reminder to check my internal anodes. If you need to replace them every 12 months you must really use your boat a lot! I haven't done it since I purchased it and it's due for an oil change anyhow so I'll check next time it's not raining....

EDIT! By the way frozenpod, why do you say replace the internal anodes for 4S motors only? The raw water cooling is the same for 2S engines, no?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm a very paranoid saltwater boatie! My Honda agent insisted I flush it after every use (and only use the flush port if I cant start up the motor up)
Bugger me what an expensive hobby..so every year I need replace oil, spark plugs, anodes, impeller and trailer bearings (and prop if you hit the boat ramp)....anything else whilst I'm at it?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Mattblack wrote:I'm a very paranoid saltwater boatie! My Honda agent insisted I flush it after every use (and only use the flush port if I cant start up the motor up)
Bugger me what an expensive hobby..so every year I need replace oil, spark plugs, anodes, impeller and trailer bearings (and prop if you hit the boat ramp)....anything else whilst I'm at it?

Boat...bring on another thousand
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:54 pm

I use a product call macs when I flush the motor the last thing I do is put the macs through it its like a soluble oil cleans and lubricates the engine internals. When I am away on a trip I flush the motor most days the last time I use the boat I put the macs through it. A mate who does a lot of work with boats told me the difference between engines that use an internal flushing aid to one that doesn't is huge so for a $100 over a couple of years is cheap I reckon

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Luluberlu wrote:After fishing i go to the Carwash, connect a Hose to the engine and run it, while it is running i place $4 in the slot and select hot wax...clean all the boat inside out with it, when it's stop i stop the engine, collect my hose and go home .....easy :thumbsup:

where exactly are you getting the water to flush your engine from??
304 Kororoit Creek Rd, Williamstown North VIC 3016....it is one tap there at the end of the car wash you need your hose and tap connector

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:05 am

skronkman wrote:I haven't used salt away, I think it's a bit of a rort, playing on the paranoid mind of saltwater boaties. Since when did water not dissolve salt? If you're using your boat weekly then I was told by a Honda service agent there is no need to flush it with fresh water (although I do unless I'm using it every few days). Think about all those moored boats and commercial vessels, how often do they get a fresh water rinse? Yes you must wait for the thermostat to open for your flush to work properly, this usually entails running the hose at about half pressure and waiting about 5 mins at around 1500rpm (on my motor at least). I believe that it is a good maintenance routine but I also believe that the new alloys being used for outboards from the big brands are much much better at resisting corrosion in salt water than the old stuff and that used by cheap brands. I think from about late 90's onwards.

Thanks for the reminder to check my internal anodes. If you need to replace them every 12 months you must really use your boat a lot! I haven't done it since I purchased it and it's due for an oil change anyhow so I'll check next time it's not raining....

EDIT! By the way frozenpod, why do you say replace the internal anodes for 4S motors only? The raw water cooling is the same for 2S engines, no?
A friend of a friend had a boat ( brand new) moored for Not sure 1 or two years....the twins engines are now about gone..... :down:

Return to “Boating”