Boat Cleaning & Salt-Away

Sinsemilla

Re: Boat Cleaning & Salt-Away

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Luluberlu wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Luluberlu wrote:After fishing i go to the Carwash, connect a Hose to the engine and run it, while it is running i place $4 in the slot and select hot wax...clean all the boat inside out with it, when it's stop i stop the engine, collect my hose and go home .....easy :thumbsup:

where exactly are you getting the water to flush your engine from??
304 Kororoit Creek Rd, Williamstown North VIC 3016....it is one tap there at the end of the car wash you need your hose and tap connector
i figured as much.
i was wanting to do the same, but down here in frankston all the taps i've seen have the handles removed and replaced with a mechanical key, so you need a special attachment to open them.
cheers
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-4-w ... y_p4920162

I can flush my motors at pretty much any servo or car wash I stop at..

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:26 pm

That's a handy little device mate :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks mate.
That's a game changer for me possibly.
Have you used it before at the wash bays. Wonder if you can legally do it?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 pm

quote="purple5ive"]
Nude up wrote:I use a product call macs when I flush the motor the last thing I do is put the macs through it its like a soluble oil cleans and lubricates the engine internals. When I am away on a trip I flush the motor most days the last time I use the boat I put the macs through it. A mate who does a lot of work with boats told me the difference between engines that use an internal flushing aid to one that doesn't is huge so for a $100 over a couple of years is cheap I reckon
what exactly is that mate, and where can you get it? have you got a link to the product?[/quote]
I bought mine at whitworths elizabeth st http://www.macsmarine.co.nz/

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks Nude Up...that stuff looks pretty good (unlike the Salt-Away it leaves a protective film). The 'ultra film XT' in the spray pack looks perfect for the trailer as well.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 pm

I thought I'd bump this topic (mattblack referenced it in another post) and I thought some new ideas or even exposure to the newer members.

frozenpod wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:42 am
I haven't used it.

The key aspect of flushing the motor is to make sure you run it long enough to open the thermostat(s).
If you don't parts of the motor don't get flushed.

I typically use a fast idle for 10 minutes.

Also for 4 stroke owners new internal anodes every 12 months.

I flush my motor in a large plastic tub, fitted with a bung-plug for easy draining.

The motor runs for ages in it, it surprisingly uses less water, and doesn't get hindered trying to run the motor somewhere where there is low water pressure. Another main reason I flush this way is that you get a true gauge on how the impeller (water pump) is working. Allowing it to suck the water in on it's own and not forced in by a hose. Even when the boat is cruising in water, the inlets on the motor leg still pick up "pressured" water from cruising. So a tub is a true gauge of how the impeller is working.

Plus, frees up the hose to get on with washing and hosing down the boat and gear.

IMG_20190320_092924a.png
IMG_20190320_092924a.png (311.91 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

Cheers, Bugatti

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Where did you get the tub from? im having trouble trying to find something big enough to fit my motor leg in (50hp)
wheelie bins dont fit, even the big ones

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:20 pm

https://www.salt-away.com.au/ourproducts/salt-attack

Saltaway has them and ship direct from NZ.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:29 pm

That's an expensive ******* bucket...

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:53 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:00 pm
Where did you get the tub from? im having trouble trying to find something big enough to fit my motor leg in (50hp)
wheelie bins dont fit, even the big ones
G'day P5

That tub was a gift from God , , , , it caught my eye in a kerbside hard-waste collection pile some years back. So I rescued it, and its two brothers. 3 in total.

But I do remember seeing them many years back at Bunnings or Stratco or some place like that, they were advertised as Party Tubs for ice and drinks. It fits my Merc 40 (the bigger block 40, used in the bigger motors) and it fits my Brother in-laws Yamaha 70 (I think it is) and both our motors have those stingray/aquafoil things on the legs.

I use it to also carry all my cleaning stuff, hoses (2), brushes, trigger guns etc etc.

It also carries/stores a few sets of 4 blocks to chock the tub up so the motor leg is in it as deep as possible.

Those meat tubs (the deeper ones than the photo below) fit both our motors too, but just a tighter fit. Butcher Wholesalers might be worth a go, but I would say they would be pricey.

IMG_20190321_175913a.png

Also if you do end up with one. Although daunting drilling into a perfectly good tub. A Bung-plug works great to drain it. But as the tubs aren't as rigid, I fitted a threaded pipe accessory and fixed the Bung-Plug to that. Just a bit of take a Bung-plug base into a irragation/tank place and find one that fits.

threaded outlet.PNG

Good luck, they are super handy :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Boating”