wiring problem

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

wiring problem

Post by barra mick » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:37 pm

Ive hit a unexpected snag.

Ive filled my pipe full of wires now im stuck with a full pipe and still a bit to do...to many wires to even attempt jamming them in

I need another pipe.

I only have 95 mm between these two pipes.one is the line to a fuel tank, the other is the full wire pipe

I have to go from these pipes back to the console with at least 5 more wires and two leads off the tranducers.

Any ideas..

Cheers bm
Attachments
1470296231934.jpg
1470296200839.jpg
20160804_165730.jpg
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: wiring problem

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Just note, I have no idea what is best practice here but I take it you have negative and positive buss or posts in your console? Can you mount the negative under the gunnel instead? Would cut down on 50% of your cabling to the console.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Can you run conduits under the floor?

Besides is best to keep the transducer wiring seperate from power wiring.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:24 am

Now that I've read your post in full let me ask you this.

Are those 2 current pipes installed through any stringers or structure at all? or are they a smooth run under the floor to the console? Any build pics before the floor went in?

The reason I ask. With a bit of care you could drill say an 50mm hole (or whatever is required 90mm means you could fit your whole hand in after Deburring the hole) in between those 2 pipes and tongue across to the matching hole in the centre console. It's difficult to pull off but by no means impossible.

The best way is to tape a looped bit of wire on the end of the tongue and feed it down the hole in the direction of the other hole. Then feed another tongue down the other hole with a small hook shaped bit of clothes hanger. Hook the other tongue and pull it out.

Once you have 1 piece of yellow tongue in and out of the hole tape the second yellow tongue to the first with a neat join so you have ~5m of yellow tongue in one straight piece. Cut a piece of 40mm or whatever size bit of corrugated conduit to the length you require and feed it over the long section of yellow tongue and pull it down to the hole. From here as you feed the Corry the tongue will ensure it keeps travelling to the other side. Slowly feed it through and eventually you'll get it to the other side.

Once you have leave a bit of slack corry at either end and Before you pull out the yellow tongue just tie on a draw wire and pull it through to help you feed cable later.

From here you can weld a bit of pipe over the hole to make it neater.

NB: you could drill small holes in the corry to avoid water build up.

Please note I've never done that with a boat but have done similar things plenty of times trying to cable stuff in areas where I need to ensure future cable running is easier but access is non existent.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:41 am

purple5ive wrote:Can you run conduits under the floor?

X2 on transducer leads..far as possible
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:27 am

What about a low profile cable cover like they do on Bar Crusher CC's?

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:29 am

ducky wrote:Just note, I have no idea what is best practice here but I take it you have negative and positive buss or posts in your console? Can you mount the negative under the gunnel instead? Would cut down on 50% of your cabling to the console.

yes ducky neg and pos posts on concole.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:31 am

Trumpeter wrote:What about a low profile cable cover like they do on Bar Crusher CC's?
I yes that would have to be my last choice.

Swag goes down the side when two blokes sleeping in boat.

thank for the idea trumpeter

Bm

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:36 am

chris seafarer wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Can you run conduits under the floor?

X2 on transducer leads..far as possible
I have a welded in kill tank across the back of boat.it makes it hard to go around.

I may have to attempt it somehow ..especially considering the feedback from transducer wire.

it would probably mean another metal round man hole in the floor.

thanks for the help

Bm

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:42 am

ducky wrote:Now that I've read your post in full let me ask you this.

Are those 2 current pipes installed through any stringers or structure at all? or are they a smooth run under the floor to the console? Any build pics before the floor went in?

The reason I ask. With a bit of care you could drill say an 50mm hole (or whatever is required 90mm means you could fit your whole hand in after Deburring the hole) in between those 2 pipes and tongue across to the matching hole in the centre console. It's difficult to pull off but by no means impossible.

The best way is to tape a looped bit of wire on the end of the tongue and feed it down the hole in the direction of the other hole. Then feed another tongue down the other hole with a small hook shaped bit of clothes hanger. Hook the other tongue and pull it out.

Once you have 1 piece of yellow tongue in and out of the hole tape the second yellow tongue to the first with a neat join so you have ~5m of yellow tongue in one straight piece. Cut a piece of 40mm or whatever size bit of corrugated conduit to the length you require and feed it over the long section of yellow tongue and pull it down to the hole. From here as you feed the Corry the tongue will ensure it keeps travelling to the other side. Slowly feed it through and eventually you'll get it to the other side.

Once you have leave a bit of slack corry at either end and Before you pull out the yellow tongue just tie on a draw wire and pull it through to help you feed cable later.

From here you can weld a bit of pipe over the hole to make it neater.

NB: you could drill small holes in the corry to avoid water build up.

Please note I've never done that with a boat but have done similar things plenty of times trying to cable stuff in areas where I need to ensure future cable running is easier but access is non existent.

this was my first choice before I read the posts abt the transducer wire

Im worried there maybe a rib between the two pipes..

I will find out.

if I can use this method I then need to try make it flush and look as neet as possible.....but I then have the transducer wires.

thanks for the ideas ducky.

cheers bm

Return to “Boating”