HOW TO MOVE A BOAT (ON TRAILER) THATS HEAVY BY HAND

robbo101

Re: HOW TO MOVE A BOAT (ON TRAILER) THATS HEAVY BY HAND

Post by robbo101 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Few suggestions that may help.
-As posted above by someone, reversing camera is very handy.
-Always park the boat in the same spot and mark on the ground where the car wheels need to be to be perfectly under the hitch, back up top this mark and don't go past.
My favourite budget option.. find a medium size mirror. mount the mirror perpendicular to the trailer coupling at a 45deg angle so when backing up you can see the coupling from your car when you look back into the mirror, once you get close you should have the mirror on such an angle that you can see both the hitch and tow ball at the same time, you should be able to stop perfectly every time. The only catch is that this method gets the distance correct and you have to do your best to line it up straight but after some practice it becomes second nature and you will hardly ever miss. i have done this with my heavy tool trailer for years. Hopefully you understand this method as it is cheap and effective. If you need me to sketch it out I can!

Rob.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 pm

I had a similar problem with my boat. Ball weight was around 125kg. BMT is around 1050kg. I also had a problem where the car boot would just clip the electric motor and not lift completely. We solved both issues by moving the winch post back about an inch or so. It's a shite load easier to move around now that it's around 85kg ball weight. Amazing what a small change makes.

I've always brought the car to the trailer for heavy stuff then lower the jockey wheel. On my tow car I have a reverse camera which means I can get the ball directly under the hitch every time. it's a absolute godsend especially in the dark when solo.

The mirror idea is a good one

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 pm

robbo101 wrote:Few suggestions that may help.
-As posted above by someone, reversing camera is very handy.
-Always park the boat in the same spot and mark on the ground where the car wheels need to be to be perfectly under the hitch, back up top this mark and don't go past.
My favourite budget option.. find a medium size mirror. mount the mirror perpendicular to the trailer coupling at a 45deg angle so when backing up you can see the coupling from your car when you look back into the mirror, once you get close you should have the mirror on such an angle that you can see both the hitch and tow ball at the same time, you should be able to stop perfectly every time. The only catch is that this method gets the distance correct and you have to do your best to line it up straight but after some practice it becomes second nature and you will hardly ever miss. i have done this with my heavy tool trailer for years. Hopefully you understand this method as it is cheap and effective. If you need me to sketch it out I can!

Rob.
That mirror trick would work pretty well if you dont have a camera, even if it doesnt line you up, at least it would stop you damaging your car on the hitch, and most times even if ur a little out u can still move the trailer around a little bit to fix it up.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm

This is my plan if i get too old....
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=remot ... 242&spud=0
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 pm

Some great tips here guys.
Thanks for the help.
Ill look into a reversing camera eventually bit till then ill use the mirror trick.

Brett - I've seen those before. Do you have to permanently mount them on the hitch though?

Also that ratchet dolly is anothwr option but ill try these easy ones first
Thanks once again Guys
Cheers

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:39 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:The jockey wheel has a handle on top that can be used to raise or lower the wheel when you wind it.
Thanks mate,
yes i do understand now how to effectively use the jockey wheel, i know how to raise and lower it, but didnt quite realise how i can effectively use it to hitch the trailer on.
i honestly thought it was just there to make the front of the boat level with the back so it didnt look funny, and to drain water out the bung hole by raising the front end of the boat to max
(gotta have a laugh at someones expense once in a while)
:a_goodjob: :banana: :victory:

It is easy to assume that someone knows something, that appears to be so simple. I really did wonder why you were trying to lift the trailer coupling, whilst you had a wind up jockey wheel. But then some of us really do need to go to the gym and that is a great way to save on gym fees.
:woohoo:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:06 am

ducky wrote:I had a similar problem with my boat. Ball weight was around 125kg. BMT is around 1050kg. I also had a problem where the car boot would just clip the electric motor and not lift completely. We solved both issues by moving the winch post back about an inch or so. It's a shite load easier to move around now that it's around 85kg ball weight. Amazing what a small change makes.

I've always brought the car to the trailer for heavy stuff then lower the jockey wheel. On my tow car I have a reverse camera which means I can get the ball directly under the hitch every time. it's a absolute godsend especially in the dark when solo.

The mirror idea is a good one
When I replaced my trailer last year, I had almost no weight on the hitch. I simple undid the winch post Ubolts and slid it forward 50mm. Bingo 40kg on the hitch. Five minute job.
Being a motorbike rider all my life, I have towed many trailers with big bikes. Hitch weight is everything. Always weighed it after loading. Simple with bathroom scales. On bikes a couple of Kg makes all the difference between a smooth tow and one that is pushing the rear wheel around. If you have too much weight and the rear of the vehicle is pushed down too much, then the steering will become light. This can lead to disaster in slippery conditions. If insufficient weight on the rear then when the trailer pushes you the vehicle will jacknife more easily.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:10 am

purple5ive wrote:
Brett - I've seen those before. Do you have to permanently mount them on the hitch though?

Cheers
Video is a bit 50/60's style lol

https://youtu.be/62bmgwwRpyo

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 am

Clever device :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks brett.
wasnt sure if that whole assembly needed to be permanently mounted, the video explains it all.
looks like a winner to me.
cheers

Return to “Boating”