Christening the new boat

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Christening the new boat

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks Lads.

The boat is not your usual run off the mill tinny/fibreglass boat. its a Poly Boat, has a bit lower sides than most boats in the same size but is quite wide and has an unusual bottom, its almost like a triple hull and hence its a bit hard to steer sharply.
also being low sided i was expecting to get swamped by waves on the way back, but apart from a few sprays from landing head on into a wave, we were pretty much dry.
i could only drive slowly due to the break in procedure. so couldnt wring its neck yet, but i did have a few full throttle runs for half a minute or so each, and im quite impressed. :P

i wasnt sure as to how the boat would go in the forecasted 15knot Northerly winds, but there was a good window in the morning where it was almost flat calm and just around 5 knot winds. we took the opportunity to drive around Mornington and try and get the hours up on the motor for the break in proceduere. but after an hour or driving i got really bored and decided we were going to have a quick fish and then drive some more.
the fish were non stop for a while and we got distracted loll
finaly tally went something like 10-12 or so pinkies, 3 goatfish, 3 flathead, 1 whiting, i banjo. some of the pinkies were very good size in the high 30s, a 42ish cm flathead, one goatfish was quite decent sized, didnt measure him cause i wnted a quick release they are very delicate fish for catch and release and i unhooked it in the water, and the whiting was 36cm.
Trumpeter wrote:What a great way to christen the new boat and it sounds like she handled the conditions well, congratulations.
Thanks, and yes im no pro boater but i was quite happy with how the boat handled the weather, gives me a bit more confidence when im out next time and the weather decides to turn feral.
Lightningx wrote:Great report mate! Some nice fish on SP's sounds like the boat handled the conditions well
yeah mate happy with the boat at this stage, and yes fish were a bonus.
Tackleberry wrote:congrats purple5ive i picked up my new boat yesterday and i'm to bloody

crook to use it and i live less than a k from a boat ramp
ive had mine sitting in the garage for 2 weeks now, this was the only day the weather was decent enough to warrant going out, specially in a boat thats new to you,and also breaking in the motor means your restricted to low RPM in the first few hours. so cant run if anything happens weather wise and your far from land.
seephil wrote:Nice one purple5ive! Was an awesome day to christen the new boat and well rewarded with the mixed catches.

How was the motor running?
cheers,
Motor is a bit lumpy on idle, but maybe becuse i need to run in it properly. took me about 15 mins to get it started cause i wasn't familiar with the whole electronic choke and warm up lever and ended up flooding the carbys.
once it started though i was suprised at the noise, could barely hear it running.
a guy who was waiting to launch his ski boat with a massive blue band on it came over and was trying to help us, even he commented how quite it was, after which i told him yeah i cant believe it either and its a 2 stroke, should have seen the look on his face when he exclaimed thats a 2 stroke??? :o_0:
after that started first time. and is motoring ok i think, im not sure what its meant to be driving like brand new so ill have to wait till someone else can look at it and give their opinion.
chris seafarer wrote:Awsome man...heres cheers to many more
Thanks mate.
Basti wrote:well done purps. is that a banjo or a skate? that nose looks transparent. either way he was trying to eat your placcy imo
100% banjo mate. i just came up tight on it and didnt feel any take on the plastic, so im not sure if he was trying to eat it or just innocently passing by and got jagged loll. the whiting on the other hand had the whole plastic in its mouth, by the time i took the pic it had thrashed around so much the plastic ended up like it is in the pic.
cobby wrote:Definitely a banjo basti.

Was a perfect day for a test run. The fish just top it off
yeah was a bit concerned when the weather turned, we were sitting inside martha cove, came out and WHAM, white caps and standing waves all over. was a slow drive back to mornington. hahahaha. that didnt stop someone in what looked like a haines centre console getting airborne. lot bigger boat though and heavier. but he was getting splashed hahaha..

davek wrote:A good start to the new boat working life. A good array of fish to boot, well done. You'll soon get used to handling the boat at the ramp, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
yeah, saying i struggled would be an understatement.
the steering and throttle was really tight due to being new, plus massive cross winds, and having the skids out of the water didnt help me in any way. i managed to run it into the mooring poles a few times and also once into the concrete ramp after i misjudged the skids, bit of plastic has scraped off but nothing a hair dryer and some sand paper cant fix lolll, would have been a different outcome if it was a tinny of glass boat
bit more experience needed to pull it off first time i think.
Lightningx wrote:Love the pic of the KGW on a SP! I'm yet to get one
was a fluke mate, but he definitely wanted that plastic, its all the way down in its gob. dont think id catch one if went targetting them on sp Specifically.

cheers
Last edited by purple5ive on Sun May 08, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Sounds like you had a successful day christening the new boat, I could spend hours at the boat ramp some days watching launches and retrieves.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Nude up wrote:Sounds like you had a successful day christening the new boat, I could spend hours at the boat ramp some days watching launches and retrieves.
i reckon i would have been come close to being on that " One i wont Forget in a Hurry list" :rofl:
was moreso only a running in day, but somehow that got sidetracked into fishing

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun May 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Great pics! Always good to know how the boat handles in a bit of chop, gives you more confidence for next time.

I wouldnt worry about taking a few attempts to land the boat on your first time. After a couple of trips you will be a pro.

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sun May 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Great report Steve. Did the same color plastic account for all the fish?
cheers
Jim

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Mutley and Scruffy wrote:Great report Steve. Did the same color plastic account for all the fish?
cheers
Jim
Sure did jim.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun May 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Nice work steve cracking session, I think that banjo was trying to eat the plastic as well but we'll never know for sure. As for whiting on plastics you might be surprised how many people do it.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 08, 2016 6:36 pm

mazman wrote:Nice work steve cracking session, I think that banjo was trying to eat the plastic as well but we'll never know for sure. As for whiting on plastics you might be surprised how many people do it.
cheers,
yeah ive heard a few people targetting them on worm plastics, ive never chased whiting on purpose before.
but that banjo haha when i hooked into it i thought it was a really good fish, no heashakes but had a few good runs and really loaded the rod up.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Can't complain with a session like that the first time taking your new boat out mate :)

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun May 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Nice one Steve great day out. Kgw on nuclear chicken! Pretty awesome.

Return to “Boating”