PFD when driving boat onto the Trailer

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: PFD when driving boat onto the Trailer

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 pm

http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/__dat ... k-2015.pdf

read page 50-51, specifically where they outlined in red/blue what under way and heightened risk means, its a very broad term

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 am

Under way means " not at anchor, made fast to shore, or aground. If you are drifting you are underway" "while launching and retrieving a vessel being driven off or on to a trailer may be considered underway"
So as I said earlier if you tie up then go get your car and trailer and do not get back into the boat you are not underway. Same for launching if you do not get in the vessel and use a rope to pull it over to the jetty and tie it up, you are not underway. You are "made fast to shore"
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon May 02, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks for the reply, i reread the pages to see if I was missing anything but I'm still of my original belief...
Underway is not a broad term, it is specifically "Underway: not anchored, or made fast to the shore, or aground." As defined in Colregs and referred to in the vic rec boating safety handbook. I agree that "heightened risk" is a broad term, however, as per the pages you refer to: "Wearing lifejackets on recreational vessels during times of heightened risk The Marine Safety Regulations require all occupants of vessels listed above to wear a specified lifejacket (see table on page 55 for lifejacket types) at times of heightened risk when in an open area of a vessel that is underway. "

I repeat for clarity of my point "at times of heightened risk when in an open area of a vessel that is underway."

Unless there is some other reference I'm missing then how can this be interpreted as meaning life jackets must be worn when a vessel of any size is at anchor? I maintain that I can find nowhere (so far) that says it's illegal to take off your life jacket in any boat while at anchor in any conditions (including "heightened risk") due to the mention of the word "underway" in all references to the matter in the Vic rec boating safety handbook.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 am

I would agree skronkman. You need to be underway before it is compulsory as far as I understand it. Underway is clearly defined. So if you want that all over suntan , anchor up and strip off.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:29 pm

purple5ive wrote:
skronkman wrote:Ok. I got a little carried away with my hyperthetical. Thanks for the answers so far all the same. What I'm really asking is. "If I'm at anchor, in a less than 4.8m boat, without conditions of hightened risk, must I legally wear a PFD?" Being that I am not *UNDERWAY* by the definition in COLREGS.
yes have to wear one always if the boat is under 4.8m
bigger than 4.8 you have to wear only if solo or going offshore

these days pfds are so compact i dunno why you wouldnt want to wear one.
Just a clarification there, over 4.8 there is nor requirement for pdf's off shore !

The requirement for over 4.8, solo or at heightened risk for a pdf to be worn
no mention at all on offshore.
shronkman,
As far as pdf requirements for a boat under 4.8, I read it as, " must be worn at all times"
Therefore at anchor or not, you would be required to wear one.
That's only my interpretation mind, but in re reading the vic rules, it definitely states while underway !
So maybe a pdf can be dis guarded when at anchor !
I always thought it was " at all times" but clearly the wording is different.
I do a lot of solo fishing in mine, so I'm just used to keeping it on, it never bothers me now.
always in the back of my mind is a visit from an over zealous law enforcer !
so, it stays on, and ive forgotten I'm wearing it after 10 minutes or so......

colin

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 02, 2016 8:08 pm

fairly sure , they brought in new laws in regards to offshore PFD use, not quite sure if you can take it off after the bar crossing or PPB heads scenario

http://www.wearalifejacket.vic.gov.au/lifejacket-laws

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon May 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Can take it off once outside of designated areas like the rip and bar crossings unless you fall under the heightened risk categories

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:12 am

so just to clarify
I have a 5.2 mt boat so I only need to wear a life jacket if I crossing a bar, going through the PPB heads or putting the boat on the trailer and no one else is on the boat making it a sole operator?

for all the people that know Bermagui
does it technically have a bar or not?
parks and foreshore says no
waterways says yes

peoples thoughts who do the police go by?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 am

smile0784 wrote:so just to clarify
I have a 5.2 mt boat so I only need to wear a life jacket if I crossing a bar, going through the PPB heads or putting the boat on the trailer and no one else is on the boat making it a sole operator?

for all the people that know Bermagui
does it technically have a bar or not?
parks and foreshore says no
waterways says yes

peoples thoughts who do the police go by?
with a vessel over 4.8mtrs you have to wear when underway at heightened risk.. So boating alone, crossing a bar, storm warning ,gale warning, broken down etc.
Re Bermy NSW waterways are the authority re life jackets , Parks or foreshore are not.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm

purple5ive wrote:fairly sure , they brought in new laws in regards to offshore PFD use, not quite sure if you can take it off after the bar crossing or PPB heads scenario

http://www.wearalifejacket.vic.gov.au/lifejacket-laws
I think your confused about other regulations
If this was the case, their would be thousands breaking the law !

Again, over 4.8m vessel, does not need to wear a pdf for offshore use, only solo or heightened risk as others have explained.
Or as an example, going through a bar situation, heightened risk, so you must wear your pdf, once clear, if you desire, you can remove it.
as your link explains.

cheers
colin

Return to “Boating”