Brother is buying a boat need some advice.

Stevieboy

Brother is buying a boat need some advice.

Post by Stevieboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Well after taking my brother out about 5 times (landbased) fishing, I think its fair to say he has the bug well and truly. He has decided that he wants to buy a boat!!!! :super: :super: :super:

Well lets put this into perspective first.
I've only been fishing a year or so and wouldn't have the first clue of buying a boat or even operating one. I'm still learning how to tie different fishing knots hahaha!
My brother on the other hand is definitely the same as myself with even less knowledge/experience when it comes to fishing.
Needless to say my brother is in a fortunate position where he can afford to buy one. It will be primarily used in PPB and will be launching from Sorrento because the boat will be staying with me (WINNING). Also want the option to eventually go out through the heads and target bigger species once we are comfortable and obviously get the experience behind us.
Price range is around 30k and we are after more of a fishing boat which can fish and hold more than 4 people at a time.
My brother is very much about things being modern and nice and shiny hence looking for a newer model than an older version decked out for some serious fishing.

These are some of the boats I've shortlisted. Would love for anyone to give their opinions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... ss=~Length

Cheers Steve.

Buckle&scream

Re: Brother is buying a boat need some advice.

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:56 pm

For 30k you will get a nice rig, just make sure it comes with everything saves all the adding on as you go like fishfinders/GPS, lights, rod holders, deck wash, bilige pumps, live bait tank, kill tank ect... 6-7meters boat with motor 150hp+ would be ideal. And work out if you want fibreglass or alliminume, fiberglass is a smoother ride and alliminume is more tough but can be a rough ride.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Your shortlist of boats are very different to each other, the only thing in common is the price.

I suggest you have a closer look at what you can store and tow before deciding on what size you would like.

But to run through your list.

1. Great price for a 6.6m boat but it is a US import has antifoul indicating it was moored. (Doesn't mean bad but hull needs close inspection to make sure the are no issues with rot and osmossi). Motor 125hp 2 stroke, grossly underpowered this boat should be fitted with a 200-250Hp motor. PS Trophies tend to have low and crappy sides which have a point that sticks into your knee very annoying and makes fishing difficult. We didn't buy one for this reason.

2. Could be ok but not a boat suited for offshore use and is no comparison to boat 1.

3. I personally don't like the layout, helm is very low ect with limited weather protection. This is a good option if you have a low garage.

4. Pass.

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks Buckle we definetly would prefer a fibreglass boat but thought I'd put the ally boat in the mix to see what people have to say.

Thanks frozen for your input. I put them in that order because that's what we would prefer.
Boat no1 I was aware that its been imported from the US but wasn't aware of the possible issues with the hull. Nor did I even think about the size of the motor. Did just come across this haines on my lunch break which I really do like: http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... ss=Premium

Thanks for the input so far

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:49 pm

no doubt if it's your brothers you will often be heading out with him :)
Soon you will be catching plenty of fish :) exciting times :thumbsup:

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Mate bugger waiting for him if its in my backyard I'll be out all the time :)
Sure there will be a spot for ya mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Haha yea I forgot it will be at your place!!! Have you got a marine license mate?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Stevieboy wrote: Thanks frozen for your input. I put them in that order because that's what we would prefer.
Boat no1 I was aware that its been imported from the US but wasn't aware of the possible issues with the hull. Nor did I even think about the size of the motor. Did just come across this haines on my lunch break which I really do like: http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... ss=Premium

Thanks for the input so far
Nothing wrong with a moored boat if they are taken care off. Plenty of boats spend there entire life moored.

You need to check all boats for rot particularly the transom. There is a surprising number of US imports which have been moored that have issues with rot and osmosis.

That 542f is a great boat for its size. Pics look good except it should be on a tandem trailer. They are boarder line in terms of legal requirements so dealers can get away with selling a cheaper package with a single but I can assure you tow much better with a tandem.

Also that boat is going to be crowded with 4 people.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Guys I mean no disrespect,
But have you actually been on a boat fishing with a friend before atleast, do you realise theres quite a lot of work involved before and after fishing, cleaning, prepping etc etc, the maintenance costs involved, do you have a suitable vehicle to tow it with. Storage was another issue but looks like you have that covered.
Both have zero experience boating, if I were you I would go out with someone first and see if owning a boat is for both of you.
My boating experience is quite marginal, but it was a real eye opener for me when I bought my first boat. Just thought id throw this out here incase you haven’t thought about all this yet.

In case your hell bent on buying a boat anyway, then get someone who knows about them to come and have a look with you atleast.
With the alloy hulls, you have corrosion to worry about. They can be a lot noisier and rougher to ride than fibreglass.
Fibreglass hulls are quieter, but can be damaged easier if not carefull.
Then make sure the boat is powered accordingly, underpowered boats will cost you more fuel, and also be a nightmare to get you home if the weather turns and you have to fight waves/swell.
Then you have the choice of 2 or 4 stroke motors, they both have their pros and cons depends on which one you want to go for.
Then comes trailers, they are equally as important, if the trailer is ****, then your not going fishing regardless of wethere the boat is in top condition. They can be badly rusted, shot bearings etc etc.the costs of fisxing one up can quickly blow out of propotion.

dont forget to get a boating licence as well
Im sure others can chime in on more details.

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Haven't got my marine license yet lightning but my brother and I are about to book it in.

Once again thanks for the input frozen really appreciate it :)

All legit questions purple. My father in law owned a boat for about 15 years sold it before I come along so he will be helping us out in every sense.
I have fished on a boat with mates and been on charters and I do realise what is involved but obviously will have a lot more to learn aswell. I am aware of majority or work involved before and after in terms of cleaning and prepping aswell as the upkeep of the boat.
I've got a fg ute with 2.5tonne towing and my brother has got a land cruiser prado with I think 2.5tonne towing aswell.
Storage is definetly not an issue.

Reason I put this post up was to get peoples opinions because as I said I've never owned a boat so really appreciate all the input.

Return to “Boating”