Need advice on registering home made boat trailer

carrot

Need advice on registering home made boat trailer

Post by carrot » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Hello folks,
I'm thinking of building myself a tandem boat trailer for my 6m Savage Nautilus fishing boat. I have no qualms about my ability to build one having done a lot of steel fabrication in my time. However, I'd like to know what the procedure is for registering a home made trailer in Victoria.

To get it registered is it necessary to take the trailer to VicRoads for inspection, and provided the trailer is built correctly and soundly, and complies with all the state regulations regarding weight specifications and roadworthiness etc., is it very difficult to get a home made trailer passed by VicRoads? If you need to take it to VicRoads, how do you go about getting a new, as yet unregistered, trailer to their inspection point when it's not legal to tow on the road yet? I live in a rural area and the nearest VicRoads office is 75Kms away.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with advice on this topic.

Thank.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Need advice on registering home made boat trailer

Post by hornet » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:56 pm

In Victoria ......... other states may be different.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registr ... or-caravan
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fishomicko

Post by Fishomicko » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:58 pm

I don't know alot about it but I would think u would need to get an engineers certificate then take it to Vic roads to be registered

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:20 pm

carrot wrote:Hello folks,
I'm thinking of building myself a tandem boat trailer for my 6m Savage Nautilus fishing boat. I have no qualms about my ability to build one having done a lot of steel fabrication in my time. However, I'd like to know what the procedure is for registering a home made trailer in Victoria.

To get it registered is it necessary to take the trailer to VicRoads for inspection, and provided the trailer is built correctly and soundly, and complies with all the state regulations regarding weight specifications and roadworthiness etc., is it very difficult to get a home made trailer passed by VicRoads? If you need to take it to VicRoads, how do you go about getting a new, as yet unregistered, trailer to their inspection point when it's not legal to tow on the road yet? I live in a rural area and the nearest VicRoads office is 75Kms away.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with advice on this topic.

Thank.
Speak to Cheater he can give you some advice.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:45 pm

i got a copy of the regs from my local rta i built it and took it in after i made the appointment it passed i got the vin # payed up was on my way

but this was a while ago

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 pm

alot of the companys get the kits from asia an just weld them up, prolly a cheaper option with the price of stuff

carrot

Post by carrot » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I need to know the more about the procedure so I'll talk to VicRoads before I commit to building the trailer.

"Speak to Cheater he can give you some advice."

Thanks for the tip, but how do I do that, I've not heard of Cheater?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"alot of the companys get the kits from asia an just weld them up, prolly a cheaper option with the price of stuff"

There are warnings about using Chinese bearings and axles because of their poor quality. I won't be going down that road, but thanks anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i got a copy of the regs from my local rta i built it and took it in after i made the appointment it passed i got the vin # payed up was on my way......"

Thanks, I hope it's that easy still.

Cheers.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:10 pm

all you do is download the forms and fill it in,
make and model you put in home made and type boat trailer.
then take the forms to vicroads and they will then tell you if they need to see the trailer or not.
all single axle trailers they dont need to see, just got to the vciroads office and they just record the info of your trailer and give you the plates, im not sure about tandem ones.
for the weight of the trailer you will need to take it to a weight bridge since its a big trailer they might ask for the weighbridge certificate.
being home made they will/may ask for proof of receipts for materials purchased.

cheater is a forum meber here, look for a member called cheaterparts he used to build trailers before. he will be able to help you out more.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:07 pm

I had a home made trailer for a sailing dingy. I rang VicRoads and was asked a few questions about weight and dimensions (all done with a tape measure and guesswork). I was then given a number to etch into the drawbar. Then I went to vic roads and filled out the standard trailer form and paid my money, they gave me plates and it was all done. Far less hassle than I expected. Even the guy at the counter didn't seem too fussed when I made up the numbers for some of the required weight ratings. as there was no way of telling without getting it engineered I just used the axle rating and some guess work. They seem pretty cool with "home made" in the manufacturer section.

carrot

Post by carrot » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks purple5ive and skronkman,

It sounds like the process is not as difficult as I thought. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge on this matter.

p.s I have pm'd Cheater with my query but have had no reply as yet.

Cheers.

Return to “Boating”