lone star winch

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

lone star winch

Post by barra mick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi

Anybody have a lonestar winch on there boat?

What type and what do you think abt it ?

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

skye

Re: lone star winch

Post by skye » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Have had two. Amazing bits of kit, customer service is A1 and has a few mechanisms that I enjoy. One in particular is the ability to release the spool (on GX models) by means of a mechanical system in case an electrical fault ever occurs.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 pm

skye wrote:Have had two. Amazing bits of kit, customer service is A1 and has a few mechanisms that I enjoy. One in particular is the ability to release the spool (on GX models) by means of a mechanical system in case an electrical fault ever occurs.
thanks mate

What models have you had.

im eithier getting the gx or the gx 2

Just figuring out what I need for my boat.both seem to have bug enough motors but the two can carry more rope

cheers bm

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Can't think off the top off my head what mine is but it's the 600 size. Can't fault it

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:52 pm

slinga wrote:Can't think off the top off my head what mine is but it's the 600 size. Can't fault it
cheers...how big is yr boat slinga

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi Barra,
I have the 600 on a 5.4 m.
Performs brilliantly, back up service from malki the owner is second to none !
pretty easy to fit if your that way inclined
mines a couple of years old and there's a new model that super ceded mine I believe.
The build quality is second to none, so the fact he's a local fisho, a no brainer
you wouldn't be dissapointed

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:09 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Hi Barra,
I have the 600 on a 5.4 m.
Performs brilliantly, back up service from malki the owner is second to none !
pretty easy to fit if your that way inclined
mines a couple of years old and there's a new model that super ceded mine I believe.
The build quality is second to none, so the fact he's a local fisho, a no brainer
you wouldn't be dissapointed
Thanks bkacklab

Im getting my boat hull built at the moment then I will fit it out myself so I will be fitting it along with the engine and all the electiics

How much rope and chain do you fit on the 600?

Cheers bm

skye

Post by skye » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:48 pm

barra mick wrote:
skye wrote:Have had two. Amazing bits of kit, customer service is A1 and has a few mechanisms that I enjoy. One in particular is the ability to release the spool (on GX models) by means of a mechanical system in case an electrical fault ever occurs.
thanks mate

Just figuring out what I need for my boat.both seem to have bug enough motors but the two can carry more rope

cheers bm
A G3-500D previously and a GX2 on the new boat. The GX2 is an impressive bit of kit and is really really powerful; so much so I am debating whether to install a bar across my bow rail as I've nearly launched my anchor before back at me (of course I'm just cautious as now). Actually funny that you mention lonestar, I had a problem with my chain/rope (not with the winch) and messaged malki and he got it sorted absolutely no questions asked. A1 Service.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:54 pm

skye wrote:
barra mick wrote:
thanks mate

cheers bm
A G3-500D previously and a GX2 on the new boat. The GX2 is an impressive bit of kit and is really really powerful; so much so I am debating whether to install a bar across my bow rail as I've nearly launched my anchor before back at me (of course I'm just cautious as now). Actually funny that you mention lonestar, I had a problem with my chain/rope (not with the winch) and messaged malki and he got it sorted absolutely no questions asked. A1 Service.
thanks skye

Im leaning to the gx2.......purely for the extra power.

I carry two anchors on big trips but I use the 2nd one on the beach to hold the boat....would hate to lose that flexibility by losing a anchor

worried that the smaller motor wont have the power to pull out of rocks , reef ect

cheers bm

skye

Post by skye » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:00 pm

barra mick wrote:
skye wrote:
barra mick wrote:
thanks mate

cheers bm
thanks skye

Im leaning to the gx2.......purely for the extra power.

I carry two anchors on big trips but I use the 2nd one on the beach to hold the boat....would hate to lose that flexibility by losing a anchor

worried that the smaller motor wont have the power to pull out of rocks , reef ect

cheers bm
Go the GX2, there's honestly not a lot of $$ difference and I am extremely satisfied. Not going to lie, the size of the GX2 (1000w) dwarfs the other '1000w' winches out there and for good reason. There is a point to be made when Malki and his team have gone from having a minimal share of the market to pretty much the top contender. (excluding alliances with certain boat dealers of course!)

Return to “Boating”