New boat to fish portland vic?

rvillam

Re: New boat to fish portland vic?

Post by rvillam » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:39 pm

mr plow wrote:I have a 5.5m boat and take it off shore to cliffy which is close to 30k off shore. And are going to be having a go at portland this year.
Just pick your weather
mr plow I have a similar sized boat... am keen to try out Portland but have no clue! I just moved to Victoria from NT and I'm just wondering if you could give me an idea what sort of weather I will be looking for...

Next time you go out... do you mind if I tag along?

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:28 am

sandef wrote:save your money go on a charter boat out of portland
I tend to agree with your comment, if you only use your boat 10 or so times a year fishing Portland for SBT's, it would actually be cheaper to go on a charter, then to buy a offshore boat & need to either finance it & then pay huge interest or even if you pay with hard earned cash, it will put a huge hole in anyones bank account for a decent boat 6m + that is capable of true offshore fishing, let alone the up keep costs & crew needed.

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:42 am

Look at these guys , black marlin with open cab

https://youtu.be/zg47QFulhbU

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 am

Froggie wrote:Look at these guys , black marlin with open cab

https://youtu.be/zg47QFulhbU
Nice Marlin + a catch & release :thumbsup:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

rvillam wrote:
mr plow wrote:I have a 5.5m boat and take it off shore to cliffy which is close to 30k off shore. And are going to be having a go at portland this year.
Just pick your weather
mr plow I have a similar sized boat... am keen to try out Portland but have no clue! I just moved to Victoria from NT and I'm just wondering if you could give me an idea what sort of weather I will be looking for...

Next time you go out... do you mind if I tag along?

What I would do, is start out with wind, forecasts, 15k or less. Swell less than 3 to 5 meters starts to get a bit lumpy, Northerly winds are a pain.

Portland bay is sheltered from the west, and there are many other species other than tuna to target, Whiting up to 1.4 kg.

Return to “Boating”