re design cuddy area

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: re design cuddy area

Post by Texas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 am

Glad to hear your got some of your money back, finally.
A workmate & I are taking our employer to Fairwork, to recover $15,000 approx each.
It's quite complicated, but next month, it will be 12 months of unpaid penalty rates.
Just an alert to newer members, private message Colin, before taking your boat to a fibreglasser.(PM the name & he will tell you if it's the bloke he had trouble with).If you read all of this thread, you will realize the importance.

Cheers
Gra

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Hopefully your on the water soon and this can be put behind you black lab. Have dealt with good and difficult people in the boat game but haven't copped a hit like this.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks guys, yes its been an experience, one others I hope don't go thru.
So its onwards and upwards now, as previously mentioned just deciding on set up. moving front bulk head forward, for transferal of weight from the fuel tank being shifted forward, but undecided on new kill tank with space created at the rear !!! Decided to re install full length lid covering fuel tank running full length of floor, the idea of closing it in just didn't sit with me to well. dropped boat off at the new guy Saturday, so just mulling over a few ideas before calling him Monday with final decisions. So far definitely lifting transom to take a 25 inch leg and of course stringers and floor, but nows the time to come up with any alterations........

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Glad to hear you got something back, hopefully you get the rest soon.

I would go with lift out center as well.

As well as 25 inch transom.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks F.P, didn't really get my head around his suggestion, plastic tank then closed in, I understand the plastic tanks are pretty well maintenance free, but there's still connections there that need access and maintenance checking.
The 25 inch transom was a biggy, the Cruise Crafts have a large and low 20 inch as standard, with a relatively high inner part of the transom, so everything was safe as far as water ingress goes,but reversing up out wide, certainly creates a fair amount of water spilling in. Having the fuel filler in that engine well wasn't the brightest of ideas, I was constantly swapping out seals in fear of water entering the fuel tank, even with the higher transom, the fillers definitely getting moved.
Lots to do while the boats away, I stripped the front screen out and am trying to strip it down at the minute to replace the old Perspex and swap it to polycarbonate, got most screws out but have at least one screw left in each which I'll have to drill out. Took off the rocket launchers as well and while there out I will get lanyard fixings welded, so as to secure rods. I did have one bounce out a while back in rough conditions which fair put the wind up me, especially as it was a game rod and reel, plus gives me the opportunity to wire it internally for the light I fitted which I only affixed the wiring to the outside originally. So lots to do and even more to buy !!!
But glad to get the ball rolling........

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 pm

We have a 20in transom with a fuel filler in the well. We go out when we probably shouldn't and the filler is constantly going under water. Zero issues so far and the Boat is 31 years old, yes a new seal every 5 years or so.

That being said a full height back and a higher transom would diffidently be more seaworthy.

If you are still looking for ideas, for a single motors (from mass produced boats) I personally really like the seafarer and haines signature transom setups, very well packaged so that it is still easy to reach around the motor whilst fishing and very good from a seaworthy perspective.

Cootacraft have also done a brilliant job with the transom.

Re the solid floor I have no doubt it would be nice but having to rip it up to replace a hose or clamp to the fuel tank just doesn't make sense to me.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm

I basically went for the standard original set up on the transom, except raising it to take a 25 inch leg. I know what you mean about other transom set ups, I've been looking at other boats over the past few months. I guess I was reasonably happy with the original set up and was contemplating various improvements, but at the end of the day I just decided to keep the rebuild simple and keep the same set up.
The solid floor for a lot of reasons would be ideal, but as you say, a potential nightmare down the track. The original set up is a two piece full length centre board, which I'll reciprocate. One issue I have, is that I hate the original pedestal seat set up for a few reasons. Firstly, standing at the wheel has the seat cutting into the backs of the legs, sitting down gives you a restricted view as the dash/ windscreen is high in my boat. I want to actually fit fibre glass pod base seats on both sides, with a sliding seat set up and obvious extra storage, but, because of the shape of my boat, the pods will be partly covering the centre fuel lid up front. I'm figuring I'll get him to make the front section of the lid smaller and affix the pod seats over the lid, if you understand my drift, as I will have access to all the fittings from the rear lift out portion and cleaning in there shouldn't be to much of an issue. just need to get the damn thing back on the water now ! champhing at the bit LOL

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Does anyone know of somewhere in Melbourne to get some clear polycarbonate ?
Going to get stuck into replacing the old scratched stuff in my windscreen.......

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Something like this? If tank needs to come out it should be easy to remove transom end first. Excuse the crappy drawing

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 am

Sounds like you just need to get it done and back on the water.

How wide is the center section, there should be plenty of room with pedestals for a tank down the center and lift out covers.

Return to “Boating”