re design cuddy area

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: re design cuddy area

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:22 pm

But I am interested to hear if anyone else has fully glassed in the floor area over the tank set up ????

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:55 pm

I personally would rather the center section covering the tank to be lift off so you can have complete access.

Our tank is 31 years old ie the original that came with the boat so it is a pretty safe bet the floor wont need to be cut up any time soon.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm

geez, that's a good run with your tank pod !!, that's showing that everything is water tight.
I've had two tanks go on me, one stainless, burst at the seems, the other aluminium, both were fitted correctly, packed up off the floor etc etc.
I hummed and hard with doing what we are doing,, a few mates have had the plastic version in and swear by them.
I'm figuring the tanks longevity will be no problem, of course access is needed at the back for hose replacement and fixings, but one other issue I have is the narrowing of the boat at the helm area, which if I put pod's in, they will cover the centre section. so with a solid floor, I can fix down over the effective tank area and fit 2 pod's. A half lid could probably do the trick and give me the back half access, but I'm going with just a small inspection access. I also like the idea of one solid floor area, for cleaning or covering ( with what I haven't chosen yet ).
I hear you on potential pitfalls, would be a disaster to have to run a cut thru the floor should something go wrong, but there are a few boats out there with similar set ups.... I'll just cross my fingers and make sure its installed properly, have ability to flush out and have access...hmmm

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Or go the glassed in tanks similar to cootacrafts setupvto enable the 1 piece floor. Wouldn't have a clue what extra special resins etc is used to prevent reactions with the fuel though

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:33 pm

I was reading about that set up cobby, I wondered what the composite materials were that they used.
I had a quick look up of the plastic tanks they sell here in Melbourne and the problem is they make some of them with filler and breather pipes facing up ! strange !, or unfortunately others with a front breather. There's a 180 odd ltr tank which is perfect, all pipes come out the back and the
breather pipe in the front faces backwards and has a recess for the breather hose in the top of the tank to make its way to the back.
If I cant find the right sized and set up plastic type, I'll have to get one made up either aluminium or stainless, which will hold the fibre glasser up,
so I'm hoping his contacts have a suitable one. If I go with the 180 ltr, which is over 2 mtrs long I will probably can the kill tank Idea.....
Mind you, 180 ltr tank would certainly have me well covered with the economy of a 4 stroke......

Return to “Boating”