Correct width of trailer and boat

Spiegel35

Correct width of trailer and boat

Post by Spiegel35 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Trying to work out if the beam measurement given on boats will factor in if the trailer is slightly wider.
Some boats seem as wide as the trailer wheels however others have trailers that are clearly wider than the boat. Boat sites don't seem to give width of trailer only beam of boat. My garage is tight for space so need to be careful.

Also any suggestions for a good bay boat for snapper,gummies but one that could also allow me to sneak offshore a bit if the conditions are right.

Thanks

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Correct width of trailer and boat

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Spiegel35 wrote:Some boats seem as wide as the trailer wheels however others have trailers that are clearly wider than the boat. Boat sites don't seem to give width of trailer only beam of boat. My garage is tight for space so need to be careful.

Also any suggestions for a good bay boat for snapper,gummies but one that could also allow me to sneak offshore a bit if the conditions are right.

Thanks

as long as ether boat or trailer is under 2.5 meters ( about 8"2" ) it's legal to tow

as for a good boat for gummies and snapper + to sneek a bit off shore try a kayak and it will easy fit inside your garage
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 pm

A modern single garage will fit 4.58 streaker
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:59 pm

No easy answer.

You need to check the trailer specs of each BMT you are looking at.

Maximum legal width is 2.5m but I would guess the trailer might be anywhere from 2.1-2.3m for a 5-6m boat.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Different trailer manufacturers make trailers to different specs. You would need to check width of trailer, and beam of boat. Do you have anything special you are looking for? What are the specs you are working with?

Just by chance, send me a PM if you are interested in a...... Haines Signature 470DF 1995 model, bimini, travel cover, live bait tank, 60hp yamaha low hrs, nav/deck lights, baitboard, etc. It sits in a brick garage. A great hull for the bays, and has been through the heads at Western Port on a few occasions in the past.

Does that sound anything like what you're looking for mate?

Return to “Boating”