Got my first boat...

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Got my first boat...

Post by Nude up » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:21 pm

You will get pinged by the police or the port people if you drift whilst fishing through the channel, sounds more like the battery to me good work on the flatties, I hate clifton springs ramp great parking etc but really shallow they need to do heeps of work there

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:52 am

Collision Regulations say " vessels under 20 mtr do not impede larger vessels in a channel" (rule 9 b) it also says "do not anchor in a channel" (rule 9 g) Unless there is a local port rule, you can drift and fish, as long as you move out of the way, making your intentions clear early, when a large vessels enters the channel. If the police are fining people I would ask to see the rule that says you can't fish in the channel. However it is your responsibility to get your lines and yourself out of the way. If a vessel using the channel or any other boating facility cuts off your line it is your problem so long as the vessel was obeying the rules. e.g 5knts within 50 mtr of a jetty, boat ramp or other vessel and 5knts within 200 mtrs of shore. There are some local exemptions on the 200 mtr from shore rule. e.g. Gippsland lakes and Mallacoota lakes. If you need information on local rules ask your local port authority for the local rules in writing. :) They have to publish all local rules. You can usually find them on the local boating guide that they publish , also on "notice to mariners" Hope that helps. Generally though it is a good idea to not be in a channel in a small vessel unless using it to transit through.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:15 pm

Seems like a good buy. Well done.

Does it really have a down rigger? That's rare.

flashgordon4.5

Post by flashgordon4.5 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 am

re-tyred wrote:Collision Regulations say " vessels under 20 mtr do not impede larger vessels in a channel" (rule 9 b) it also says "do not anchor in a channel" (rule 9 g) Unless there is a local port rule, you can drift and fish, as long as you move out of the way, making your intentions clear early, when a large vessels enters the channel. If the police are fining people I would ask to see the rule that says you can't fish in the channel. However it is your responsibility to get your lines and yourself out of the way. If a vessel using the channel or any other boating facility cuts off your line it is your problem so long as the vessel was obeying the rules. e.g 5knts within 50 mtr of a jetty, boat ramp or other vessel and 5knts within 200 mtrs of shore. There are some local exemptions on the 200 mtr from shore rule. e.g. Gippsland lakes and Mallacoota lakes. If you need information on local rules ask your local port authority for the local rules in writing. :) They have to publish all local rules. You can usually find them on the local boating guide that they publish , also on "notice to mariners" Hope that helps. Generally though it is a good idea to not be in a channel in a small vessel unless using it to transit through.
thanks for the input mate im all tee's up on rules n regs we were keepin a good eye out. and if i was in the wrong so were half dozen other vessels would have been a busy day for the authorities,

also my prob is def starter not battery, it was caked in carbon and filthy as im pissed off cause instead f a good clean and some new bushes i have to replace the whole thing as one of the guys i took out started hitting hit and broke magnet layering the inside...

and yes has down rigger that clips onto side of boat,

Return to “Boating”