Buying a tinny

bigwatkins

Buying a tinny

Post by bigwatkins » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi all, im thinking of buying my self a tinny soon before it warms up again.

Nothing to big it will mainly be for rivers but if possible id like to go in the bay to.

I seen one on gumtree 3.2m with a 9.9hp motor on it for 2k

Im just wondering what everyone thinks is good for a basic model and size? And basic recommendations or anything i should look for?

This will be my first boat so any tips will be highly appreciated.

Im looking to sell my ute and update so at max i think ill be looking at around 3k for the boat.

Cheers

Andy

tienquan93

Re: Buying a tinny

Post by tienquan93 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:29 am

that's exactly what im thinking about
can anyone give us some advice
cheer

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:14 am

4mts with as much internal free board and beam the more beam more stable at rest as you can get makes vary , on a trailer so don't have to pack and unpack your safety equipment

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:39 am

make sure the motor is fine. bought a 3.9 stacer for 3 and I've now spent 4 on it (new trailer and lowrance 7) also safety gear adds up just the common stuff buddy life jackets flares that aren't expired etc

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:27 am

I wouldn't go any smaller than 3.6 and 15hp personally man, talk to trav about what it's like to have an underpowered tinny and even my 3.6 is small with 2 people in it. If you look around you should be able to find a decent one around the $3k mark.
It's buying all the other small stuff that starts to add up.

You gonna have it in time for Cod Classic? coz I'll prob win a boat there so you can just buy mine haha.

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 am

I just bought a stacer 3.8m about 6 months ago, its an older tinny so a bit narrower then the newer designs.
I wouldn't want any smaller in the bay, it has limited freeboard at the transom so I have to be careful to check forecasts ext when I go out to make sure its not going to chop up too much, its just big enough for 2 people to go in with all your gear, much smaller and I think I would struggle. stability is not brilliant and you have to be careful moving around in it, my balance is quite good but if yours is not great you should look for something a bit wider, mine is 1.4m wide.
In teams of power, mine has a 25 merc on it and it fly's but you don't need something quite that big. I think reliability is essential, you need to be able to pull the cord and have it start first time every time if your thinking about going in the bay. For the river it prob wouldn't matter as you can paddle to the edge and just get out. One of my mates has a new 8hp yama on a 3.6 stacer and it pushed it along on the plane quite well but a little more hp wouldn't hurt. bit more speed to get places faster and if you are larger boys it may not push it so well.
I got a bargain and only payed 3500 for mine with everything I needed to go in the river including 2 deep cycles and a basic water snake and finder. I just needed flares to go in the bay. I also got some inflatable jackets to minimise the space all those big pfds take up.
I think all set up it would have been around the 3700 mark so you can get something for that price range you just have to look hard.
Hope this helps a little, Good Luck!!

baff2008

Post by baff2008 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:51 am

Where are you located and what you looking at spending?

moeee

Post by moeee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

if mainly for rivers , consider a punt.
i think mine is made of aluminium , i not sure.
no need for a trailer as it is light an easily sits on roof racks.
the motor needs to go elsewhere of course.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:35 am

Hello can only comment on boat for ppb bay i have. Brooker 410 fishermen i own and i would not go much smaller the this for ppb ....if ur ever down werribee way. u can give it a test run to gather what size boat u might need...!
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys.

It will be mainly fresh but if i can nab a bargin i would really like to be able to take it out in the bay.

Im in heidelberg so pretty central to everything.

Also im a pretty big bloke 6,2" and 100kg and my brother is close to the same so i thi k the bigger the better.
Found a couple on gumtree but now i just need to sell my ute to pay for them

Return to “Boating”