Buying Second hand boat. Need help

Aznvinc3nt

Re: Buying Second hand boat. Need help

Post by Aznvinc3nt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 pm

so no one knows any good and reputable pre purchase boat inspectors in Melbourne?

moeee

Post by moeee » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 pm

I know if I was a good and reputable boat inspector , I'ld be out there inspecting boats and purchasing the bargains myself and selling them at a Profit.

Pupp

Post by Pupp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Aznvinc3nt wrote:so no one knows any good and reputable pre purchase boat inspectors in Melbourne?
Mate i bought my first boat second hand nearly 2 years ago now.
boat inspector (IN MY EXPERIENCE) would be a waste of time and money.

Lock onto a boat you like. Do some research on it and ask questions about that particular boat/motor.
Once you've established what you should be expecting out of it ask the questions of the owner and do a water test. Don't be shy to ask them for one.
If you're happy with what you find you can then negotiate price on what you think it's worth buying for.

It's pretty much as easy as that :)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Alan from south side marine,but might have to take boat in..
Last edited by bowl on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mikii_v

Post by Mikii_v » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:43 pm

where are you located Aznvinc3nt?

i did know a marine mechanic that charges $100 but he just recently moved to NSW. Im sure alot of people here know who he is... his been in the industry for a very long time, so whoever is quoting you $400, i think thats abit dear from an inspection.

check on gumtree...

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:13 pm

ok, lets be serious here,
a full inspection will include compression and thorough engine check, etc etc plus if you believe you can spot any major problem with your experience, then go for it ( crazy) alan at south side is a good bet, been around boats for years and knows motors inside out.
I tried to find a contact for a guy I know for you ( re the p.m) but he hasn't got back to me yet sorry
sorry, but if you think $100 dollars is the going price for a complete check over geez, crazy
if you are mechanically minded, can check out the trailer, brakes bearings, rollers, can visually see if compression is ok, and that all other things, water pump, power head etc etc, then take the others advice and take a gamble, then its good luck to you.
take my advice, pay the 400 and have some piece of mind. call Alan at south side marine as already suggested, or google up pre boat purchase inspections, Melbourne, but please, unless you carry out all the above checks, including transom, hull, floor by either someone experienced or a certified surveyor, mechanic, then your simply asking for trouble and taking a huge gamble !!!!!!!!
I previously offered you that I would offer my time to come and have a visual for you, if it looks ok, then I would still recommend a thorough inspection ! if you don't decide too, im betting the ones that tell you not to, will go very quiet when issues arise.
good luck
colin

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:20 pm

p.s
my survey cost $400. that included, complete engine check over, transom, hull, floor check, all electric's, plus an hour water test. the old owner said he did the check at his house, and spent 3 hours on the boat before he took it on the water.
ive been around boats for 30 years, but they know what to look for. I received a 5 page written report on the condition and all problems found, one item was that the front fuel tank wasn't fixed down correctly ! they check everything, even corrosion on hose clips !
I call it piece of mind.
armed with that I drove to sydney and negotiated. if it was in Melbourne I would have done the pre inspection myself, then if I was interested, still got a full survey done. No nasty surprises or unwanted expenses a couple of months later....

hope this helps
col

Mikii_v

Post by Mikii_v » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm

my mechanic charged $100 for a check, doesnt include water test or a 5 page written report though. my mechanic was william from Marine essentials hoppers crossing.

if i was buying an expensive boat, il pay the $400 too (expensive to me is 10k+)

iv been through 2 boats and iv inspected them with a mate. pretty much compression test, gears, steering, water pump, soft spots, transom, trailer.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Birdman wrote:Looking at your list of questions there, and the undertone of little experience with what you are about to deal with, my advice would be to skip over private sales and seek what you are after from a boat dealer. Yes, you may have to pay a little more, but you can do away with taking an independent expert with you. Also, a reputable dealer will be honest. They want you to come back and buy your next boat off them sometime in the future. All you need to equip yourself with then, is a good idea of what you want and a budget. And the willpower to not buy the flash looking boat at the front of the yard... Yes you can get a dodgy salesman, but at least you know where to find him if he was full of bull and sold a lemon(unlikely), as opposed to tracking down Joe Bloggs who met you at the local boat ramp...Buying secondhand involves a risk no matter what. Hope you find a good one, and catch heaps of fish from it...
Couldn't agree more!
Think of it as insurance. If you can't afford the cost of an inspection, then I suggest you shouldn't be buying a boat!!
B.O.AT Bring On Another Thousand
I bought my first boat privately. Used Kris Oakley Marine (Bluey). He inspected the Boat, Motor and Trailer and gave me a report at the end. Best couple of hundred dollars I've spent. Never had other issues and still own the boat many years later.
DON'T stuff about. Dealers would sell their own mothers just to make a quick buck.
Cheers
The Tube

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:26 pm

So, any of you, if selling a boat, would let someone wander into your shed on a Saturday arvo, and pull your well maintained outboard apart....
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Return to “Boating”