Cost of boating, not just $..But in time and so called mates

nafa

Re: Cost of boating, not just $..But in time and so called m

Post by nafa » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 am

When I had a boat the advice I was given was buy a boat you can launch and retrieve yourself with ease, as quite often the so called help that comes along is next to useless. After experiencing this numerous times, one bloke did not even want to get out of the car to assist in putting the boat in the water, I ended up fishing solo most of the time. Lucky for me my 14 foot Savage was easy to launch and retrieve and also wash out!

pilko

Post by pilko » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:57 am

I must be lucky. The blokes I take out have always paid there fair share in fuel, cleaned fish and helped out with all the boat duties. I think leaving from your place is the best option for you tacklenut. And also try and get a few regular people to go out. Helps as they then know there duties, and do them without any explanation. When I had a skiboat was the time i had people turn up have a ski and disappear. That's just part of the fun of owning a skiboat.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:49 am

Top post TN :thumbsup:

I saw this sticker on a boat at Werribee South ramp a while ago THIS BOAT DOES NOT RUN ON THANK YOU'S

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:25 pm

I guess I got lucky there, in my group of mates that I go camping and fishing with or just for day trips probably 75% of them own or have owned boats so they know what's involved, most of our trips are to eildon, the goulburn or the murray so there's a bit less involved in cleaning but we all generally leave together and most of the time whoever jumps in with me will chip in for diesel and petrol, bring their own bait and at the least offer to help launch and retrieve (bigwatkins scared the crap out of me when I thought he was gonna roll my car back into the river haha) even though I prefer to do it myself.
They pack their own stuff in the boat and help put the travel cover and tie downs on, the only things I do by myself is pack and unpack my own crap before we leave and when we get back which I don't mind doing.
If I had a bigger boat and took it out in the bay or whatever with people like the op mentioned they'd only last 1 or 2 trips before they stopped getting invited.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Hey TN,

You should not classified these people as "mates" PERIOD!!! Mates and mateship demand a strong solidarity and helping your friends - especially in difficult situations. Certainly none of your "mates" have shown any of these quality at all. I would classified them as "free loaders" or "leeches" according to Sir. Richard Attenborough. These types are better off without IMHO.

I think I've have asked this before but Where has common courtesy gone in this modern society??????

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Common courtesy has gone the way of common sense ... I've owned a boat before, have mates up north with boats, and know what's involved in taking one out.
It's all part of it. I hope you find some decent people to go fishing with TN, when you next get a chance to wet a line.
Tight lines = Good Times!

SparkyUK

Post by SparkyUK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:41 pm

I was invited on a trip to bemm river with one of the guys from work. loved the trip but knew nothing about boats. As someone who tags along we have to, A: do as we are told (insert you own sexual comments here), B: Pay our fair share of the costs, C: Help out with whatever we can. First time on a small boat fishing and it was a real eye opener, i never realised how much you have to pay attention to everything.

Anyway thats my 2c worth from a deckhand (no not ********) point of view.

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 pm

love this!! its so true i don't ask for hand outs but i would appreciate some help cleaning the boat gear and fish
Cheers Nick

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Communication is the key here. If your mates have never owned a boat, tactfully let them know what is required to help out on your fishing/boating trips.

SparkyUK

Post by SparkyUK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:09 pm

Also be honest if invited along, never pretend to know what your doing if you dont. Be upfront and honest is easier in the long run.

But expect to be pulling the anchor up :-D

Return to “Boating”