SMARTWAVE 3500

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

SMARTWAVE 3500

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Fellas,
im looking into a smartwave 3500 as a small first boat, to fish PPB shallow reefs (mornington, frankston areas in like 8-10mts) and surrounding estuaries etc..
i need some info on the boat to make up my mind.

are these a fairly reliable boat?
could these be taken out for snapper?? (probably asking for trouble)
what kind of insurance premiums would i be looking at ( ball park , cause i know it varies) and whats a good company to go with..
what kind of vehicle can i tow something like this with (hull weight is 100-120kg) i have a 2 litre 4 cylinder car. will that be ok ( i was told would be ok in another thread but just confirming)
also how much would a service of the outboard cost for something like a 20-30 hp motor..

anything else i need to know about these things
feel free to chime in with whatever you know about them

(ive tried the polyboat owners forum, but i cant register there and cant view topics until im registered, so thats a dead end)

cheers

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: SMARTWAVE 3500

Post by bowl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 pm

could these be taken out for snapper?? (probably asking for trouble) Yes , i have seen smaller crafts in the water.
There are how ever idiots with big boats that will speed by you n scare the crap out of ya.
Id get a bimini cover to be a bit more visible.
I have a 4.1 tinnie and was launching at altona one day and weather was well under 10 knots and some bloke in a 6 meter cruse craft was that telling me it was too rough for me to go out in that tiny boat...
oh yeah been in a boat before, just because i had a mate that bought a boat n he :puke: had to sell it cause got sea sick all the time.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:Fellas,
im looking into a smartwave 3500 as a small first boat, to fish PPB shallow reefs (mornington, frankston areas in like 8-10mts) and surrounding estuaries etc..

what kind of insurance premiums would i be looking at ( ball park , cause i know it varies) and whats a good company to go with..
what kind of vehicle can i tow something like this with (hull weight is 100-120kg) i have a 2 litre 4 cylinder car. will that be ok ( i was told would be ok in another thread but just confirming)
also how much would a service of the outboard cost for something like a 20-30 hp motor..

(ive tried the polyboat owners forum, but i cant register there and cant view topics until im registered, so thats a dead end)

cheers
Are you after the boat just for yourself or for a family? because if it was just for one person I'd suggest a kayak instead possibly?
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks fellas. It's only a looking stage atm.This boat looks good for what I want to do. Which is predominantly lure fishing. If it can handle snapper runs then that's even better.
I'm concerned about the towing. And other expenses. Since this is my first stab at owning a boat there's a lot of things I would like some info on. Thanks guys.
Cam - there will be family and others in it. i think i can manage 3 people in this boat
Regardless I wouldn't have got a yak.
Thanks

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 pm

the 4200 looks like a better boat for a marginal increase in price. you end up with a bigger motor. much more room etc etc. a 3500 isn't a 3 person fishing vessel. you'll also be a lot safer out on the open water.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 pm

GTSHoon wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Fellas,

cheers
Are you after the boat just for yourself or for a family? because if it was just for one person I'd suggest a kayak instead possibly?
Cam
kayaks useless when the weather blows up....stick with a boat
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 pm

Yeah, we have a 4.55 quinny and more than 2 people fishing is painful so a 3.5 with 3 people in it, assuming you are all fishing, would be a nightmare. That being said, as a solo boat with a freind from time to time would be ok, but you would really want to pick your days imo.

To be honest, my personal opinion is get a reasonable boat and be done with it, or look at a solo vessel.

Thats just my opinion of course, good luck with whatever u choose!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

GTSHoon wrote: I'd suggest a kayak instead possibly?
Cam
Cam your not the first to tell him he needs a kayak
purple5ive wrote:Regardless I wouldn't have got a yak.
Thanks
Haven't changed your mind as yet I see
barra mick wrote:kayaks useless when the weather blows up....stick with a boat
Dont think that for a moment Mick - I know I and others fish in quite windy conditions
just this month a pair of us were in Whiting comp with a group off another forum
one of the boating guys it seams wasn't that far from where we were fishing - he had to leave as it was to rough and uncomfortable
however it wasn't that bad on the kayaks
we fished 2 km off Merricks in about 7 and bit meters with 20 kt SW winds

like all water craft you have to watch the weather and know what you are doing - I myself wouldn't use anything but a kayak for fishing the bays and am on the water almost every W/E wind or no wind
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

You are kidding aren't you no wonder kyakers keep getting washed up 20kt winds cyclists of the seas

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:38 am

I've got a 3.5 tinny and if you plan on having any more than 2 in the boat it's going to be horrible. 2 people in a 3.5 is fine for bait fishing and you can get away with flicking lures but it's a bit tricky.

Return to “Boating”