Getting on with boat re-build

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by Boonanza » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Looks mint mate your doing a great job so far :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:46 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
IMG_1017.JPG
Have been a tad under the weather over the last month, so got a few hours spare and headed down to at least get one side of the inside of
the boat flow coated. It's a shite of a stuff really and with todays temperature not exactly helpful, just hoping I got the catalyst percentage right !
I shall find out in the morning I guess...

Col
Nice work mate.
That looks great :thumbsup:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 pm

IMG_1021.JPG
That's the back deck side areas flow coated, now to get some LED lighting under the bottom shelves, before I refurbish and fit the long shelf ends.
I don't really want to use the self adhesive LED strip lighting, I want to have either a plastic or aluminium housing screwed underneath, with the LED's inside this. I'm just picking even hosing out the deck or taking on water, even the waterproof ones will take a corrosion beating.
So has anyone used this method ? and where have you got the housing ?

Cheers

Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Looking good mate

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
IMG_1021.JPG
That's the back deck side areas flow coated, now to get some LED lighting under the bottom shelves, before I refurbish and fit the long shelf ends.
I don't really want to use the self adhesive LED strip lighting, I want to have either a plastic or aluminium housing screwed underneath, with the LED's inside this. I'm just picking even hosing out the deck or taking on water, even the waterproof ones will take a corrosion beating.
So has anyone used this method ? and where have you got the housing ?

Cheers

Col

Some of the camping strip lights come with stainless steel clips, which would work the way you want to. Screw the clips to the bottom of the shelf and then the light strips just clip in and out when ever you need.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi Brett,
It's more I wanted to encapsulate the LED strip.
I found a place in Hoppers, that have an aluminium channel, with different types of slide in lenses, up to 3 mtr lengths clear or obscured. You simply screw or glue the aluminium channel under the gunnel, the Led strip slides in to this channel, with a plastic clear lense/top, hence, pretty damn water proof.
I realised today, that my bottom full length shelf is curved, but that shouldn't matter, the carpeted shelf cover goes over the shelf side with enough gap to get your feet under, that gap is where the LED should light up the floor.
I've had mates that have fitted the LED strips, had no issues, others, corrosion just eats them away, so for an extra 25 bucks each, these will house the Led strip lighting and should keep it nice and dry and shouldn't have a corrosion issue.
I might run with these, in fact use it where ever I put the strip lighting, keeps it neat waterproof and basically it's just something else to blow my money on, but hey, this is a boat rebuild, I'm allowed too........................LOL

Col

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 am

i would use 12v rope light if i were you.
it would solve all the issues your are speaking of, but i dont think they will be bright enough.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:23 pm

I would use rope light too. They should be ok, you don't need massive amounts of light at your feet.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:38 pm

I just googled up rope lighting, never heard of them, interesting.
I like the idea of them being encapsulated, look good, but, I don't think they will throw enough light. basically, putting them under the shelf, means that once the side covers are bolted on, the light will have to go down and reflect off the angled sides to shoot across the floor for the purpose I want them for. I'd like to get as much of the floor illuminated as possible, which will be effectively defused, but non the less enough to really light it up. I hate situation where you either have to much light, which my LED on the rocket launcher gives, or not enough. That situation that your eyes don't adjust after switching it off. So If I can really get the floor illuminated, that should do me to have them on all the time and need no further lighting while night fishing. I read about rope lighting and they it's basically an accent type lighting, so I don't think it will be enough.
I like the stuff I've found, a purpose extrusion to house the LED strip, easy to change the strip or pull it out for any reason and it's fairly well water proof inside the aluminium profile. I've just got to measure up the lengths that I need and they said they would quote it up for me, so I'll see what they charge. I do like the idea of fixing the aluminium channel permanently.

cheers guys

Col

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Hey Col have you every used the red night lights? You could probably just switch out the globes in the lights you already have. They are great with keeping your eyes in night mode and you don't get that tired eye feeling you get after having white LEDs on for ages.

Return to “Boating”