Has liked: 71 times

Re: Best boat for PPB

Post by Trumpeter » Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 am

bowl wrote:
denis barden wrote:Re: Best boat for PPB
Unread postby Hardyakka » Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 pm

How so Denis?
Ive had over 25 boats big and small
I live at St Leonards and the best type of boat out of a places like ours is a smaller tinny
Easy to launch and retreive
Easy to move on water
Launching at low tides you go opposite to where the big boys have to line up
Easy to hand push to hook up to car at 0400 in mornings
You can handle it by yourself
Dont have to get into boat at days end to refill
Easy to back down ramp
Just some advantages of a smaller boat
Cheers Denis
With my old tin can ,I found anchoring harder on tin can n not having full flat floor was a bugger.
Launching was easier.
But I find driving my new boat on off pretty easy.
Denis's tinny has about 25 boats worth of gear on it, including a drum winch so anchoring's a breeze. I down-sized to a 4.4m
open boat for all the reasons above and more but do miss having the shelter. If I was going back up to a 5m glass boat I'd probably look at the HH Breeze 490 or 530.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:00 am

Nude up wrote:My previous boat was a streaker 545 with 130 yamaha 2 stroke I loved this boat it went everywhere ppb ,westernport ,bass strait, lakes. My mates liked it that much that 2 off them bought streaker 545's the only reason I sold it was I wanted a bigger boat but I don't like the streaker 6700 commander not a good blue water boat.
I had a Streaker 585 in 2 stroke and it handled well apart from the low nose that would dig in in heavy seas. Upgraded to a Haines 6 metre Classic with a Honda 2 stroke. Used to love the walk-around abilty on the Streaker. The Haines does not have this but handles the heavier seas much better as the nose sits higher.

Nude up, I note you don't like the Streaker Commander 6700 in blue water. Is their any reason? The reason I ask is that a mate just bought one early this year.....

Joe

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Sun May 28, 2017 11:02 am

im thinkin of selling my seafarer ventura 5.5m has a 140 zuk with around 60h anchor winch and hard tops but would want 30k

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:
Nude up wrote:My previous boat was a streaker 545 with 130 yamaha 2 stroke I loved this boat it went everywhere ppb ,westernport ,bass strait, lakes. My mates liked it that much that 2 off them bought streaker 545's the only reason I sold it was I wanted a bigger boat but I don't like the streaker 6700 commander not a good blue water boat.
I had a Streaker 585 in 2 stroke and it handled well apart from the low nose that would dig in in heavy seas. Upgraded to a Haines 6 metre Classic with a Honda 2 stroke. Used to love the walk-around abilty on the Streaker. The Haines does not have this but handles the heavier seas much better as the nose sits higher.

Nude up, I note you don't like the Streaker Commander 6700 in blue water. Is their any reason? The reason I ask is that a mate just bought one early this year.....

Joe
we were at bermie about 4 years ago we were out wide and the wind got up as we were coming back it was a following sea as we came down the wave the nose would dig in and the boat would broach it was a very big sea we were that concerned we put our lifejackets on the movement was quite severe and at one stage one guy standing fell over. we ended up zig zaging back to bermie to stop coming down the back of the wave. As I said it was very rough and every other time we went out in it it was ok I think it is because the nose is very fine and the beam is 2.49 and the back gets lots of lift forcing the nose to dig in. My streaker 545 in choppy seas occasionally would dig the nose in and broach but it had to be choppy. 99% of the time it was fantastic wide plenty of room etc.
My mate with the 67oo commander sold the boat soon after he now has a haines 680 I have a haines 650 classic I was suprised at the difference in the ride between mine and his having a self draining deck the sides are much higher when travelling there is a bit of roll left to right which is concerning at first but you soon realise its nothing to worry about we would come off a wave leaning to one side hit the next wave and just come out straight great bluewater boat.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 29, 2017 12:07 am

That pretty well sums up the issues with the streakers.

PS the Streaker 585 mold should have been crushed after the first boat was water tested.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 am

There are so many threads about similar topics on this forum and on Google, with so many opinions. The best way to buy a boat is to go and sit in a few on land or water if possible. Go to a few dealers of used boats, like jv marine.

If you want protection from the elements, then look for a cuddy cab + bimini + clear covers.
If you want to fish solo most of the time, look for boats with a decent drive-on trailer.
If you want a more economical experience, look for a Mercury Optimax or any 4 stroke engine.

IMO, if used just for PPB or WPB, most 17ft-19ft fibreglass boats will be sufficient.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 am

The best boat ???

That's a tough one, because it really depends on what you are using it for.

My tinny is great to drift amongst the moorings for squid or trolling for salmon, but not so good one it gets a bit rough and can be uncomfortable with not much room to move about.

My Glass boat is 5.4 metres, it is a cuddy cab and has good protection from the elements, but sadly not the much good for drifting amongst the moorings.

So then you have choose if you want a centre console, a runabout, a cuddy cab. or a bass boat.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 am

Nude up wrote:
Blueyed1 wrote:

Joe
we were at bermie about 4 years ago we were out wide and the wind got up as we were coming back it was a following sea as we came down the wave the nose would dig in and the boat would broach it was a very big sea we were that concerned we put our lifejackets on the movement was quite severe and at one stage one guy standing fell over. we ended up zig zaging back to bermie to stop coming down the back of the wave. As I said it was very rough and every other time we went out in it it was ok I think it is because the nose is very fine and the beam is 2.49 and the back gets lots of lift forcing the nose to dig in. My streaker 545 in choppy seas occasionally would dig the nose in and broach but it had to be choppy. 99% of the time it was fantastic wide plenty of room etc.
My mate with the 67oo commander sold the boat soon after he now has a haines 680 I have a haines 650 classic I was suprised at the difference in the ride between mine and his having a self draining deck the sides are much higher when travelling there is a bit of roll left to right which is concerning at first but you soon realise its nothing to worry about we would come off a wave leaning to one side hit the next wave and just come out straight great bluewater boat.
Thanks for that info Nude up. I'll pass on this info to my mate who has a Commander.

Joe.

ponderosa

Post by ponderosa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 am

How about something like a quintrex half cab to 5.4? Very stable at rest, quick with a 115hp very dry and can handle ofshore swell to 2mts. Easy to operate alone and big enough to camp out over night.
I'll keep mine forever!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:27 pm

ponderosa wrote:How about something like a quintrex half cab to 5.4? Very stable at rest, quick with a 115hp very dry and can handle ofshore swell to 2mts. Easy to operate alone and big enough to camp out over night.
I'll keep mine forever!!
I had a 5.2 mt caddy quintrex. And wouldn't go out in a 2 mt swell unless i could hide behind a island otherwise its uncomfortable amd hard to fish.

Otherwise its perfect for the bays.

Return to “Boating”