The RIP/ PPB heads

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

The RIP/ PPB heads

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:00 am

The RIP/ PPB heads

http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php/traini ... llip-heads

http://www.yachtingaustralia.com.au/sit ... %20rip.pdf

I thought this might be useful, besides I am going to book my self onto one the rip tours.

Wolly Bugger

Re: The RIP/ PPB heads

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:46 am

As far as I know,The rip is best avoided on the run out tide, with a southerly wind, especially if there is a large swell.

Any addtional information is welcome

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 am

You would want to have a decent boat, and go out with an experienced Captain (fishing) at least once, not sure what the ORCV charter will cover, but fishing it could be entirely different to what the charter talks you through. Not saying not to do the ORCV but i would also go with someone experienced fishing it too. You'll be amazed how fast you actually drift in the rip!!!!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:38 am

I came back through the heads the other day onshore wind tide going out , the wind speed had only picked up in the last hour not much swell offshore as I got close to the heads the chop increased in size and was like a washing machine up to a metre just up and down not like a bar where you pick your wave and follow it.
The current at the heads runs normally at about 6knots but can be higher due to wind effects when trolling into the current you can actually be going backwards, the eddies created by the tidal stream and the up and down of the bottom can kick your boat left or right.
The best time to pass through the heads is slack water but that depends on the day wind swell all come into it

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:43 pm

piscateur wrote:You would want to have a decent boat, and go out with an experienced Captain (fishing) at least once, not sure what the ORCV charter will cover, but fishing it could be entirely different to what the charter talks you through. Not saying not to do the ORCV but i would also go with someone experienced fishing it too. You'll be amazed how fast you actually drift in the rip!!!!
On Sunday there were a few tinnies of around 4 metres, including one that had a 15hp on the back.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm surprised we don't hear of more boats swamped whilst fishing the rip...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
piscateur wrote:You would want to have a decent boat, and go out with an experienced Captain (fishing) at least once, not sure what the ORCV charter will cover, but fishing it could be entirely different to what the charter talks you through. Not saying not to do the ORCV but i would also go with someone experienced fishing it too. You'll be amazed how fast you actually drift in the rip!!!!
On Sunday there were a few tinnies of around 4 metres, including one that had a 15hp on the back.
That's Just asking for trouble 15hp will be way too underpowered in there to get out safely if **** hit the fan

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 pm

what's the minimum size boat you would go out there in?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:22 pm

All depends on the weather.. if its a dead calm day you can be out there in a 14ft tinni with a 15hp on the back. When the kings are around they aren't usually right in the middle of the rip. They sit either just inside or just outside. Its pretty safe to fish if you get out there in calm conditions. I'd just suggest always having a man on the wheel doesn't matter how calm it is.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 am

On willyweather it predicts a 9.39am high and a 3.58pm low does that mean you could fish around an hour before and after?

Return to “Boating”