All round white light?

Clumpy

All round white light?

Post by Clumpy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:46 am

Hi guys,

Some advice would be great; I have a canopy on my boat and would like to put a nav light on the top in the middle of it. At the moment i have a poll attached to the side of it, this is ok as it can been seen from any direction but i would like something a little more permanent and tidy.

Option 1: I could just drill some holes into the top of it to mount the light, but this would mean drilling holes though the canvas which I don’t want to do.
Will putting two small holes in my canvas ruin it? Is there something I can put in/on the canvas to stop it ripping after putting holes in it?

Option 2: I already have a small stern light, I could put a bow light on, but this would involve drilling into the fibreglass, which I’m trying to avoid.

I know a lot of people just put a extendable white light on the stern of the boat, I don’t want to do this as I want it seen from all directions as it should be. (I have almost hit enough boats at night to know this)

Anyone got any ideas I would really appreciate the advice. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (94.68 KiB) Viewed 836 times
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: All round white light?

Post by Brett » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:00 am

if you want it centered on the alloy frame of the canopy, then there isn't much choice but to put holes in the canopy.
If done properly I can't see a problem, with it ripping. You should be able to use a soldering iron to melt the edge of the material after the hole is made, this will help stop it ripping.

The other way, take it to an upholsterer and show them where you want the light, then they can remove the canopy and cut the relevent section out and re-seem it, could be a touch expensive for a simple light though.

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

Brett wrote:You should be able to use a soldering iron to melt the edge of the material after the hole is made, this will help stop it ripping.
great idea, thanks Brett
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Tezza_26

Post by Tezza_26 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:03 am

Is there any reason that you can't mount a small plate with the light on it and attach it to the ally frame with acouple of pipe mounts simmilar to exhaust clamps? This would remove the need to cut your canopy or even to drill holes in your frame. Just an idea.

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:45 am

Tezza_26 wrote:Is there any reason that you can't mount a small plate with the light on it and attach it to the ally frame with acouple of pipe mounts simmilar to exhaust clamps? This would remove the need to cut your canopy or even to drill holes in your frame. Just an idea.
Thanks for a the advice tezza, thats the sort of thing i already had, however im a little retentive and wanted to tidy it up a bit. I just bit the bullet and mounted it to the top of the canopy, this worked even better as i was able to run the wires inside the canopy, this way i didn't have a heap of unnecessary wires all over the place.
But cheers for the help.
Attachments
IMAG0404c.jpg
IMAG0404c.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Return to “Marine Electronics”