Marine Radio advice

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Marine Radio advice

Post by sturgeon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 am

Anyone knows what does the getting the license involve? Attend a course? How many days? Cost? Expiry date? And is it illegal to install vhf without getting license?

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:53 am

sturgeon wrote:Anyone knows what does the getting the license involve? Attend a course? How many days? Cost? Expiry date? And is it illegal to install vhf without getting license?
if you do the online course they reckon 4 hours at your own pace, then you just go in somewhere and sit a short exam. All up cost is around $180 or so I think
http://www.marineradiolicence.com.au/MR ... seinfo.pdf

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 am

laneends wrote:
sturgeon wrote:Anyone knows what does the getting the license involve? Attend a course? How many days? Cost? Expiry date? And is it illegal to install vhf without getting license?
if you do the online course they reckon 4 hours at your own pace, then you just go in somewhere and sit a short exam. All up cost is around $180 or so I think
http://www.marineradiolicence.com.au/MR ... seinfo.pdf
You can have a radio and listen without a license, good for weather warnings etc, but cant transmit unless in emergency

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:14 am

I have a vhf radio installed in my boat, so I'm suppose to have a license to use that? Literally never knew that... Don't use it anyway

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 am

cobby wrote:From a safety perspective VHF any day of the week. It's manned (channel 16 emergency) 24/7, covers a greater distance and doesn't have as much b******* chatter across all channels like 27mhz does (especially 72 and 96) that will mask a faint call. Only downside is requirement for a licence to transmit, that isn't hard to obtain
Correct, VHF is the only way to go now.

Return to “Marine Electronics”