Has liked: 412 times

Re: Just got the hook 7

Post by rb85 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 am

Do lowrance use Airmar transducers?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 am

rb85 wrote:Do lowrance use Airmar transducers?
Well it's got lowrance written on it, so unless they just re-badge it like ford did with their mavericks then I doubt it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am

The hook series comes with its own mate, and im pretty sure they are not compatible with other models, the HDS series can take aftermarket ones

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

purple5ive wrote:
The hook series comes with its own mate, and im pretty sure they are not compatible with other models, the HDS series can take aftermarket ones
http://transducerguide.lowrance.com
http://www.chsmith.com.au/checkout/cart/

I think it might be this one.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:28 am

Okay I've put in a few more hours on the water fine tuning it, roughly 20-30 playing with it. I'm pretty comfortable with the controls and adjusting it and what not, but I'm still not 100% confident in what I'm actually seeing.

How much impact does dirty water (think western pot top end after rain) have on this model? Will it effect the results greatly? I still tend to get a lot of scurry noise on the screen which looks like fish at times, but I'm almost certain it's just sound bouncing off really dense bits of clouds of mud in the water or something?

What do people think of the hook? Should have I paid a little more for something with a more powerful transmitter to distinguish the differences between fish and mud/weed/dirty water, or is it just me still learning the ropes?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:04 am

http://support.lowrance.com/system/self ... LE_ID=2967

I've just read the above and it appears what I'm seeing is a lot of surface clutter noise, likely being from waves/current/bubbles etc, the 'fish' I'm seeing that I previously thought weren't fish, probably were in fact fish lol but the reason they don't come up as very pronounced arches is likely to do with my transducer angle. Atm fish basically show as flat horizontal lines, I read this snippet of the article and may have found my problem:

"If you still don't get good fish arches on the screen, it could be the transducer's mounting is incorrect. If the transducer is mounted on the transom, adjust it until its face is pointing straight down when the boat is in the water. If it is angled, the arch won't appear on the screen properly. If the arch slopes up but not down, then the front of the transducer is too high and needs to be lowered. If only the back half of the arch is printed, the nose of the transducer is angled too low and needs to be raised"

So maybe if I face it directly down (90 degrees to water surface level) it'll show a more profound arch?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:19 am

Post some pics of what your seeing mate, and also of the transducer install. (side and back shot) then maybe we can help a bit further

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:27 am

purple5ive wrote:Post some pics of what your seeing mate, and also of the transducer install. (side and back shot) then maybe we can help a bit further
Good idea lol
Alright mate next time I go out I'll get a few snaps :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:36 am

Need some pics mate

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 am

Having a difficult time sounding in offshore waters? I head out the wpb entrance and sounder just stays on .3 of a metre depth. Is it due to maybe the swell playing around with the transducer or is it just not powerful enough to pick up 20m+ water (you would think it should)

Return to “Marine Electronics”