Just got the hook 7

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Just got the hook 7

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:27 am

Kimtown wrote:Ok I'm 99.99% sure my transducer is installed properly, I think the device being on auto-sensitivity makes the device too noisey and difficult to figure out exactly wtf is going on with the screen. Also I think maybe my transducer could angle downwards like 20-25 degree, rather than sitting dead level.
Switch it to manual fish areas you know well and have a play with sensitivity, clutter and colour erase functions.

Once you get to know them then you play with other things but it's probably best not to over complicate things whilst learning.

Do you understand beam or come angles etc and how different frequencies work?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:31 pm

rb85 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Ok I'm 99.99% sure my transducer is installed properly, I think the device being on auto-sensitivity makes the device too noisey and difficult to figure out exactly wtf is going on with the screen. Also I think maybe my transducer could angle downwards like 20-25 degree, rather than sitting dead level.
Switch it to manual fish areas you know well and have a play with sensitivity, clutter and colour erase functions.

Once you get to know them then you play with other things but it's probably best not to over complicate things whilst learning.

Not in the slightest my friend

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Kimtown wrote:
rb85 wrote:

Not in the slightest my friend
I suggest you do a bit of research on all those first then and then start playing around with your sounder, it will make a lot more sense if you do it that way.
google or youtube terms like lowrance cone angles and do a bit of reading / viewing

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:59 pm

rb85 wrote:
what exactly is a colour erase function? ive never seen that before on my sounder, or was that a typo.
cheers

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 pm

This will be helpful.
http://www.airmar.com/bottom-calculator.html

Airmar manufacture most transducers.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:09 pm

purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:
what exactly is a colour erase function? ive never seen that before on my sounder, or was that a typo.
cheers
It's exactly that it erases certain colours from your display weak echoes that we don't want to see when searching inshore for snapper.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:25 pm

ok, ive never heard of that before, im not sure lowrance have this feature though as ive never seen it on the 5 other lowrance units ive owned before.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Not sure on lowrance maybe greyscale?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 am

rb85 wrote:This will be helpful.

Uh I literally have zero idea what model or angle number I need lol

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 am

Kimtown wrote:
rb85 wrote:This will be helpful.

Uh I literally have zero idea what model or angle number I need lol
those transducers are something you wont be using so i wouldnt worry about it.

as i said google / youtube LOWRANCE CONE ANGLES, that will tell you which frequencies you should be using in which scenario to find fish

its not something you can master in a day, you will need lots of time on the water to work out what to do where and which is fish and which is clutter. as a general rule start on auto everything and work your way up from there.
the cone angles relate to the frequencies on your sounder, they will tell you how far away from your boat you are looking for fish.

Return to “Marine Electronics”