Dual batteries

Salted

Re: Dual batteries

Post by Salted » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Rather than tag a whole bunch of replies im just gonna blurp bits out..
From memory cost was around the $280 mark and was ordered from a supplied out of Perth.

As stated above agree with the VSR comments, to me, simple, i was lazy, all came in the kit. Also as above, and i always have and always will, on my boat, soldered all connections and have also used a water tight heat shrink. I too looked at the NARVA ( got sneaky and ordered it through work so i could look at it) the biggest difference between it and the Blue Sea is the quality and construction of the "plastic" itself, especially where the battery poles are molded.
Im now 44, been working on cars, bikes and boats since i was 14, ( i am qualified mechanic) and on anything i have every restored from old bikes, to a 1955 F100 i did not long ago, i have never had an issue with broken solder. Keep everything tight and secure and its NEVER a problem.
Only stated the "stats" cause there was a mention of experience.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks Guys!
I'm restoring an old bike at the moment so I may have to pester you all in an off topic forum at some stage. :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm

No body keen on exothermic welding?

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 pm

rb85 wrote:No body keen on exothermic welding?
LOL

Hi salted, that was me commenting on the soldering vrs crimp and as I said, its a very very personal preference, as you've expressed yours.
Both are good, but its just someone's " skill level" in doing the soldering properly in the first place that makes it successful.
Me, well I'm on to my 11 old brit bike with not a shread of solder anywhere on any of them, parallel twins were the " prince of darknesses" ( lucas) worst nightmare
because of there horendous vibration, which actually caused them to go crimp only since the late 60's. Again, a bit more care in holding wires in place and an expert solderer on the job and I can see it working, but most can't solder properly.
I say what ever works, use that method, that's the best advice I can give, but to me one doesn't really have an advantage over the other now days, with the crimping tools available now and of course water proof shrink wrap, your good to go which ever way.........

Or, as rb85 persistently brings up " bloody exothermic welding " Geeez, now I'm gunna have to go google it up !!

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Mattblack wrote:Thanks Guys!
I'm restoring an old bike at the moment so I may have to pester you all in an off topic forum at some stage. :thumbsup:
Matt, what are you restoring ?
I'm preying your going to tell me aTriumph !!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
rb85 wrote:No body keen on exothermic welding?

Or, as rb85 persistently brings up " bloody exothermic welding " Geeez, now I'm gunna have to go google it up !!
Pretty impressive stuff there Blacklab.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 am

blacklab99 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Thanks Guys!
Matt, what are you restoring ?
I'm preying your going to tell me aTriumph !!
I do have a soft spot for British bikes, but the current pain in my arse is a Yamaha RD400 (1976)

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:09 pm

RD 400, have a bit of a soft spot for them.
My brother in law received the first one off the crate back in the 70's and was racing it for some time back home. I remember helping him un crate
it and we found they had shipped it with a battery, which had leaked and damaged all one side of his side covers and frame, he was right pissed off.
Managed to get a few rides on it at a pukekoe race track back in N.Z on the odd occasion, there wasn't much in its class that could keep up with them in the day and even out performed larger bikes. In fact, my brother in law recently restored one as well, just for nostalgic reasons.
Nothing wrong with them at all Matt, you'll have to put up a few progress pic's for us........

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:44 pm

blacklab99 wrote:RD 400, have a bit of a soft spot for them.
My brother in law received the first one off the crate back in the 70's and was racing it for some time back home. I remember helping him un crate
it and we found they had shipped it with a battery, which had leaked and damaged all one side of his side covers and frame, he was right pissed off.
Managed to get a few rides on it at a pukekoe race track back in N.Z on the odd occasion, there wasn't much in its class that could keep up with them in the day and even out performed larger bikes. In fact, my brother in law recently restored one as well, just for nostalgic reasons.
Nothing wrong with them at all Matt, you'll have to put up a few progress pic's for us........
Apart from a tiny bit of cosmetic stuff, t's pretty much done (haven't touched it since I got the boat) Just got an issue with the carbie....pretty sure the carbie float is sticking as it always cuts out when I rev it up (but I'm open to opinions!). Unfortunately (like most machinery) they are made to be used regularly and if you don't, things tend to crack/leak/seize. I went to move my neglected RGV250 a while ago and the bloody front brake callipers had seized shut.
With the new fishing season just around the corner, I think the dust covers are going to stay on the bikes for a bit longer!

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 am

An old guru on the Brit bikes made a comment to me once, which did indeed help me a lot over the journey, He said " many a carburettor issue has been fixed via the electrics" in other words on these old Brit bikes with the old lucas electrics, a large amount of issues which seemed to be carby were indeed electrical ! not saying that's your issue, as sticking floats always cause issues and you know your bike !
But Matt, I guess I wouldn't be as passionate about the old bonnies if there wasn't any tinkering involved, sometimes I wouldn't ride for months on end, which annoyed guys I would ride with, but the tinkering is at least 50 % of it for me..............

Return to “Marine Electronics”